The Student Room Group

Six hour delays at Dover. Isn’t this what we voted for?

Seemingly the same country that voted for a hard border with France are now complaining that we have a hard border with France. Let’s not forget here, it was the U.K. that insisted that passports should be stamped. The French are simply following protocol.

Laughable. Again.

Scroll to see replies

There are a lot of consequences relating to Brexit that weren't revealed until it was too late. Only the government knew the true extent that leaving the EU would have at the time of the referendum.
Original post by SagaciousSag
There are a lot of consequences relating to Brexit that weren't revealed until it was too late. Only the government knew the true extent that leaving the EU would have at the time of the referendum.

Anyone with an ounce of sense could have seen this coming a mile off. They weren’t just revealed at all… the remain campaign warned about this, as did industry experts, but if I remember correctly we’d had enough of experts..
Reply 3
Original post by imlikeahermit
Seemingly the same country that voted for a hard border with France are now complaining that we have a hard border with France. Let’s not forget here, it was the U.K. that insisted that passports should be stamped. The French are simply following protocol.

Laughable. Again.

How were you entering the border at Dover?
@Rakas21

Should these people have just gone to Blackpool or Skegness instead?
Reply 5
@Rakas21

Brighton or Margate if they were at Dover would make more sense.
Original post by Quady
Brighton or Margate if they were at Dover would make more sense.

we don't want any more filthy tourists
@Rakas21

No. The whole OP is a misnomer though since the French are always avoiding work or on strike and delays occured before Brexit. The UK is not responsible for what we are told are French staffing issues.
This is what control looks like
We wanted a hard border between Britain and France. That comes with the consequence that the French can staff their side of the border as they please. While unfortunate for British people off no their hols, the worst damage is towards British exporters who face delays and increased costs.

We were told that Brexit would result in this rather nebulous global Britain emerging and red tape being stripped away. Reality has proved somewhat different....

Original post by Rakas21
No. The whole OP is a misnomer though since the French are always avoiding work or on strike and delays occured before Brexit. The UK is not responsible for what we are told are French staffing issues.

It is strange that you bring up the British stereotypes of lazy French workers. Truth is the French worker is, on average, close to 20% more productive than their British counterparts. We could take the opportunity to learn a thing or two from the French or Brexiters could continue to engage in their hubris that will see Britain suffer a second lost economic decade that pushes down living standards.
Original post by Rakas21

I’m starting to think you’ve actually got the Tory party whip, as I can see you’ve decided to pedal out the same line that they’re trying to sell. Simply, that’s a load of *******s; for what it’s worth as well, the French need not take on more staff just because WE decided to have a hard border. This is precisely what you voted for.
Original post by SagaciousSag

I think the consequences of a hard border were well known as we have hard borders with the likes of everywhere except Europe. Similarly, it was well understood before we all voted that the £350 million a week idea was a lie and it was also well know the Brexit would include a divorce bill. I note that divorce bill has risen to something like £42 billion now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62263972

But hey - we voted Brexit because we wanted sovereignty and the right to make our own laws and all the benefits the EU gave us can go hang. Vote for Truss and we are guaranteed to lose most of our rights like basic human rights that the EU gave us. I note we are already working hard on being the dirty man of Europe again with our sewage strewn rivers and laughable recycling rates. Yep - Brexit was brilliant!
(edited 1 year ago)

It's the French! Not Brexit, pretty much what the UK is saying 🤦🏾*♀️.
Original post by Talkative Toad

It's the French! Not Brexit, pretty much what the UK is saying 🤦🏾*♀️.

Laughable really. I love the arrogance of this lot that they expect the French to take on more staff because we wanted a hard border.
Reply 14
Original post by hotpud
I think the consequences of a hard border were well known as we have hard borders with the likes of everywhere except Europe. Similarly, it was well understood before we all voted that the £350 million a week idea was a lie and it was also well know the Brexit would include a divorce bill. I note that divorce bill has risen to something like £42 billion now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62263972

But hey - we voted Brexit because we wanted sovereignty and the right to make our own laws and all the benefits the EU gave us can go hang. Vote for Truss and we are guaranteed to lose most of our rights like basic human rights that the EU gave us. I note we are already working hard on being the dirty man of Europe again with our sewage strewn rivers and laughable recycling rates. Yep - Brexit was brilliant!

Not sure how that relates to this though. We weren't part of Schengen before, we aren't part of Schengen now. The hard border only ever really related to the Irish border which had free travel [apart from the miliary checkpoints...] prior to the UK joining the UK. Still no real border there.
Original post by Quady
Not sure how that relates to this though. We weren't part of Schengen before, we aren't part of Schengen now. The hard border only ever really related to the Irish border which had free travel [apart from the miliary checkpoints...] prior to the UK joining the UK. Still no real border there.

No but we were part of a common travel area. Passports now need to be stamped hence delay.
Reply 16
Original post by hotpud
No but we were part of a common travel area. Passports now need to be stamped hence delay.

This delay is because the passport not just needs looked at/validated but also stamped....?

Stamping a document that's already being handed over is causing chaos? Get real....
Original post by Quady
This delay is because the passport not just needs looked at/validated but also stamped....?

Stamping a document that's already being handed over is causing chaos? Get real....
Seems perfectly believable to me. Having to be handed, look at stamp, return passports is very different to just having it waved at you and if the picture matches you're good.
Reply 18
Original post by 04MR17
Seems perfectly believable to me. Having to be handed, look at stamp, return passports is very different to just having it waved at you and if the picture matches you're good.

This is no different to before....
Singapore 👏 on 👏 Thames

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending