The Student Room Group

Could I do better than PwC Audit?

I don't want to sound ungrateful or arrogant but I can't help but feel that I can do better than audit at PwC. Okay so short story.
I have a graduate scheme in audit with PwC - it's not even in London, it's in Guernsey! I know there are merits about joining a smaller office but a part of me feels that this may be held against me when considering exit opportunities for audit in a few years ago.
I have a first in History from Warwick and I'm currently trying to finish my dissertation in an Economic History masters at LSE. I sadly don't have any finance internships during my time at university - I regret not taking spring intern and summer intern applications seriously at the time. Besides that though, I have a bucket load of extra-curricular experience from sports and dance, to charity fundraising, to event planning, as well as holding multiple exec positions/roles on societies and within my departments.
I have wanted to go into a career in asset/wealth management or M&A and I just feel that I am settling with audit in PwC. It's annoying because I have worked really hard for my degrees and extra-curricular roles but I know people that have worked at PwC by going to lower ranked universities and without a lot of extra-curricular experience. It just makes me question why I worked and stressed so much in the last few years. Am i overthinking this and should i be more grateful for the fact that I do have something with a reputable company? Will I have good exit opportunities after audit that could lead me into M&A or asset management? or should I sack off PwC and go through the grad scheme application season again?
Original post by cureconfusion
I don't want to sound ungrateful or arrogant but I can't help but feel that I can do better than audit at PwC. Okay so short story.
I have a graduate scheme in audit with PwC - it's not even in London, it's in Guernsey! I know there are merits about joining a smaller office but a part of me feels that this may be held against me when considering exit opportunities for audit in a few years ago.
I have a first in History from Warwick and I'm currently trying to finish my dissertation in an Economic History masters at LSE. I sadly don't have any finance internships during my time at university - I regret not taking spring intern and summer intern applications seriously at the time. Besides that though, I have a bucket load of extra-curricular experience from sports and dance, to charity fundraising, to event planning, as well as holding multiple exec positions/roles on societies and within my departments.
I have wanted to go into a career in asset/wealth management or M&A and I just feel that I am settling with audit in PwC. It's annoying because I have worked really hard for my degrees and extra-curricular roles but I know people that have worked at PwC by going to lower ranked universities and without a lot of extra-curricular experience. It just makes me question why I worked and stressed so much in the last few years. Am i overthinking this and should i be more grateful for the fact that I do have something with a reputable company? Will I have good exit opportunities after audit that could lead me into M&A or asset management? or should I sack off PwC and go through the grad scheme application season again?

I think given that even during good economic positions grad schemes for M&A / BBs are very difficult to get and weโ€™re pretty far from there it would be pretty unlikely you would get something with no previous experience.

Audit into M&A is not an unheard of route so would suggest doing this, perhaps focus on moving into that area at PwC.

Also worth preparing why you want to move towards that route as interviewers even if not directly asking you will be trying to work out something along the lines of โ€œif you wanted to work in this sort of competitive industry why donโ€™t you have any experience already?โ€

Audit is the best way to start your career if you want something long term in finance. Yes the hours suck, the work is dull yet simultaneously difficult, and clients seemingly do not know how to apply accounting standards despite all being qualified, however you get the best exposure to a variety of businesses and all aspects of finance. Its a great foundation to any future career choice you want within the remit of finance and a lot of people you deal with in industry will have cut their teeth in audit at the start of their career.

Most people do three years in audit at one of the top 10 firms just to get a big hitter name on their CV, get the experience, and then when they've qualified move into M and A, corp finance, industry or some other ares. More often than not, this is a lateral move within the firm you work via internal recruitment and secondments which is much easier to secure than coming in from the outside.

Without being rude here - audit grad schemes are MUCH easier to come by than M and A and consulting ones. Similarly, not to put down your achievements (which are great), people with just as good qualifications and extra-curriculars are ten a penny when you begin looking at the recruitment pool for the top 6 ish accounting firms.. Of my audit scheme graduate intake, almost everyone had a masters from a top university, and frankly provided you have the gift of the gab in your interview recruiters don't give a **** that you spent your time organising socials or virtue signalling in some third world country building a school.

Imho passing up the chance to begin your career at pwc is absolute madness but its your choice.
(edited 1 year ago)
I think you can do better if im honest, the pwc role is not even in london . So I'd argue the experience for the role is not weighted the same as a London role and living in Guernsey for me would be awful. I'd go again for the next recruiting round, and network and see what employers want , prep tests etc and im sure you'll secure something.
You might be able to do better but what made you not get a single offer between both your penultimate year summer and your summer before your masters?

Would you have minded PwC Audit if you were in London or Manchester? If no, then itโ€™s probably the location that bothers you.

You seem to think that you are better than PwC because of a random degree from Warwick and LSE. There are many Oxbridge people in the Big 4 and nobody cares that you got a 1st at Warwick.

To me, you have different options:
1. You carry on with Audit in Guernsey and exit once you qualify.
2. You try to request and internal transfer to the London or Manchester office.
3. You defer your start date to 2023 and maybe try to apply for new grad schemes in 2022.

For me, I would suggest that you carry on with the audit scheme and apply for other grad schemes whilst in your job. If you get another offer, you quit and move to the other firm.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest