Edexcel A2 Geography B - Module 5 Global Futures Watch

This discussion is closed.
froggymills
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Is anyone sitting the Global Futures on Friday?? Im doing the option about Living With Hazardrous Environments! Hopefull their will be question on Hazard Prediction!
dynamo
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by froggymills)
Is anyone sitting the Global Futures on Friday?? Im doing the option about Living With Hazardrous Environments! Hopefull their will be question on Hazard Prediction!
lol u arent the only one wishing for that lol, what have u revised case studies wise?
froggymills
Rep:
?
ermmm....got a major problem...only have tectonic case studies....wat about you?
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by froggymills)
ermmm....got a major problem...only have tectonic case studies....wat about you?
Have a look at these sample questions - the ones in bold are likely generalisation 4 ones! You can adapt these eg number 1 could be re-phrased as 'To what extent is the prediction and management of hazards affected by variations in the economic resources available?

Global Futures : The Human response to hazards

Titles:
1. To what extent is the Human response to hazards affected by variations in the economic resources available? (Human response 3)

2. Discuss the factors which affect the social, economic and demographic impact of hazards (Impact of Hazards 2)

3. Discuss the ways in which people respond to the threat of hazards and, with reference to ONE hazard, explain how and why the response to it may vary. (Human response 3 also Spatial 2)

4. To what extent does hazard perception affect hazard management? (Hazard management 4)

5. For two contrasting types of hazard to what extent does hazard prediction affect hazard management? (Hazard management 4)

6. To what extent can people truly manage hazards? (Hazard management 4)

7. With reference to Either Tectonic Or Climatic hazards, explain why a knowledge of physical processes is essential in minimising their impact on people. (Causes of Hazards 1)

8. Education is often the most effective way of managing Natural Hazards. Discuss (Human response 3)

9. To what extent do states of economic development influence the way people respond to natural hazards? (Human response 3)

10. “Natural Hazards are caused by the interaction of physical and human processes” Discuss. ( Causes of Hazards 1)

11. Explain why the same type of Hazard may have different impacts (Spatial variations 2)

12. Assess the extent to which people may be regarded as the creators of hazards (Causes of hazards 1)

13. Some locations are susceptible to multiple hazards. Using contrasting examples, illustrate the problems of such locations and identify how such locations can be effectively managed ( Spatial 2 also Management 4)
froggymills
Rep:
?
Are these past questions?
Geogger
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes! Most have come from the last 3/4 years, others are adaptations from the previos incarnation of Edexcel B.
I have also set up another thread for this here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...55#post1588555

It contains these essay titles but also some suggestions for planning essays and hints.
jcd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm going in knowing *coughs* the following case studies.

Geological:
Kobe - earthquake
San Francisco - earthquake
Mt St Helens - volcano
Montserrat - volcano

Geomorphological:
Aberfan - landslide
Rio de Janiero - landslide
Vaiont Dam - landslide
Motroc - avalanche

Meteorological:
Andrew - hurricane
Bangladesh - cyclone
Mississippi - flood
Bangladesh - flood
Lynmouth - flood
Boscastle - flood
Sahel - drought

What do you think? Is it necessary to know about areas of multiple hazards for our generalisation?
Geogger
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jcd)
I'm going in knowing *coughs* the following case studies.

Geological:
Kobe - earthquake
San Francisco - earthquake
Mt St Helens - volcano
Montserrat - volcano

Geomorphological:
Aberfan - landslide
Rio de Janiero - landslide
Vaiont Dam - landslide
Motroc - avalanche

Meteorological:
Andrew - hurricane
Bangladesh - cyclone
Mississippi - flood
Bangladesh - flood
Lynmouth - flood
Boscastle - flood
Sahel - drought

What do you think? Is it necessary to know about areas of multiple hazards for our generalisation?
Your list looks fine except for earthquakes you have 2 MEDC! What about Bam (Dec 26th 2003)
Multiple Hazards are quite interesting as they make the management (and indeed predictability) more difficult as each hazard can impact on others and exacerbate their effects. Los Angeles and Mexico city are often quoted as 2 good examples
jcd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I forgot Indian Ocean 2004 as my LEDC example!
froggymills
Rep:
?
What questions do people think we will get??? Im really hoping...well only wanting a hazard prediction question!
froggymills
Rep:
?
Can anyone think of a good case study to use for the prediction of a cyclone and an avalanche?
andyd_y02
Report 14 years ago
good example of the failure of prediction was Galtur avalanche Feb 1999

30 people killed - authorities had implimented risk zones for building from green (no risk - unrestricted building) to red (high risk - no building) according to the tracks of previous avalanches over the last 300yrs

A powder avalanche (travelled 200m/s) hit a green zone that they thought could not be hit and 30 people died

So the prediction actually made the impact worse because it gave false sense of security for building precautions etc

hope that helps

ps what could the questions be on if its not about effectiveness of prediction in reducing impact? theres one i saw about trends for increasing frequencies of hazards? anything else? thanks
froggymills
Rep:
?
(Original post by andyd_y02)
good example of the failure of prediction was Galtur avalanche Feb 1999

30 people killed - authorities had implimented risk zones for building from green (no risk - unrestricted building) to red (high risk - no building) according to the tracks of previous avalanches over the last 300yrs

A powder avalanche (travelled 200m/s) hit a green zone that they thought could not be hit and 30 people died

So the prediction actually made the impact worse because it gave false sense of security for building precautions etc

hope that helps

ps what could the questions be on if its not about effectiveness of prediction in reducing impact? theres one i saw about trends for increasing frequencies of hazards? anything else? thanks
Hey,
Ive been looking at a few questions. My teacher me that the questions will either be about any of the following:
Hazard prediction
Whether hazards are occuring more frequently
Management being about effect rather than reducing cause.

Im starting to worry! I only have prediction stuff!
froggymills
Rep:
?
Wat are people using the map for in the exam?
andyd_y02
Report 14 years ago
i think id know roughly what im doing in the way of increasing frequency - youve got tectonic hazards, where natural events are no more common than they ever were, but more people living around them makes event more liekly to turn to a hazard. Youve got geomorphological like landslide at vaiont dam where humans actually caused a hazard that wouldnt be there otherwise so obviously increasing human pop somewhat = increasing hazard freq. then theres atmospheric hazards like hurricanes which are increasing due to global warming.

main point i would say is the changing size of human pop - forcing people into hazardous areas...then global warming

in arguement that frequency isnt increasing you have some hazards eg avalanches where they prevent the hazards by dealing with the causes
and you have the fact that hazards may seem to be more frequent even when theyre not just ebcause of more media and better reporting....best eg for that is tsunami 2004 killed about 250000 - obviously incredibly heavily reported - 1976 tangshan earthquake in china killed 250000 and hardly made it into european media because of less mobile tv reporting and because it didnt affect any english people!

i just think il prepare for that one and a prediction one n hope i get those...otherwise i havnt got a clue!
andyd_y02
Report 14 years ago
map?! what map?! iv heard of no map...
andyd_y02
Report 14 years ago
anyone got anything on droughts? seems like a good example where prediction does pretty much no help at all but i dont have any information on it...any links to good sites would be much appreciated
froggymills
Rep:
?
Im nt sure we will get hazard prediction and increasing frequency cos they were the exact two questions from June 2003. But wat else could we get??
froggymills
Rep:
?
(Original post by andyd_y02)
map?! what map?! iv heard of no map...
Yeah they give u an outline of a world map. They give u the choice. U can use it or just leave it.
andyd_y02
Report 14 years ago
something along the lines of as you said - is it better to manage the effect than the cause...

im hoping it will be a predictiony one though because iv got 15 past questions or so and a good 70% are prediction, 2 were increasing freq and 2 on effect/cause management. dont know if that actually adds up but heres the link if ya want it...http://www.sln.org.uk/geography/psg.htm
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.8%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.76%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.09%
It might lead to more bullying (129)
38.17%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.18%

Watched Threads