Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    might as well just locate any case studies you use on the map then. cant see any other use for it unless someone plans to write down all the worlds tectonic plate boundaries or something but thats just a waste of time

ReputationRep:
    yeah Ive seen them! Bring on a prediction question. Have u seen the questions Geoffer has put on??

Have u got a good hurricane case study?

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt go as far as good - i do have A hurricane case study

Hurricane Mitch 1998 - extensively predicted by US National Hurricane Centre but it actually hit carribean LEDCs like Honduras so it didnt really help because they were too poor to do anything - 6500died, 1.5mil homeless, 900mil dollars crop damage, 80% transport infrastructure destroyed...they evacuated a few people so could say prediction did something to lessen social costs but absolutely nothing for economic

ReputationRep:
    how can you structure a prediction one - by type of hazard (tectonic, geomorphological, atmospheric) or by use of prediction (to prevent causes, to prepare eg earthquake proofing, to evacuate), or just by "heres an example where its effective", "heres an example where its limited", "heres an example where it was useless"? im confused how to order the paragraphs properly

ReputationRep:
    If you do ur latter example u wont get as many marks my teacher told me. You have to structure it by points. Ive done an essay and Ive used a structure of saying the points/factors that hazard prediction is depedant on:

Communication, example - where it goes wrong
    Hazard type - for some it is good, others it is bad
    Economic status
    Where hazard prediction has been ineffective

ReputationRep:
    ah good point that does sound better than the case study by case study approach. am i right in thinking that effectiveness of prediction basically depends on two largely seperate aspects...how extensive and reliable the prediction is in the first place, and then how constructive the response to the prediction is. then you could do quality of prediction in a type of hazard kinda way, and then response to hazard subdivides into the ones you mentioned eg communication and economic development. maybe too complicated but would possibly work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyd_y02)
    something along the lines of as you said - is it better to manage the effect than the cause...

im hoping it will be a predictiony one though because iv got 15 past questions or so and a good 70% are prediction, 2 were increasing freq and 2 on effect/cause management. dont know if that actually adds up but heres the link if ya want it...http://www.sln.org.uk/geography/psg.htm

iv been reading throufgh and thanks uv been helpful, iv got the exam on fri too.

With regards to the map the best way to use it would be to simply use it as a way of drawing on examples of areas effected by hazards.

well hats what iv been told anyway,

oh and one question for you, with regards to the cause/mangaement stuff what exacly do you mean?

Do you mean that we should talk about how reducing the after effects of a hazard are more important then reducing the causes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billionnaire87)
    iv been reading throufgh and thanks uv been helpful, iv got the exam on fri too.

With regards to the map the best way to use it would be to simply use it as a way of drawing on examples of areas effected by hazards.

well hats what iv been told anyway,

oh and one question for you, with regards to the cause/mangaement stuff what exacly do you mean?

Do you mean that we should talk about how reducing the after effects of a hazard are more important then reducing the causes?
    Reducing the effects like educating people, strict land use laws, emergency services, building standards..I think

ReputationRep:
    think by effect/cause its trying to say should you concentrate on stopping the hazard in the first place, or should you accept the event is going to occur and just try to minimise the impact eg the earthquake proofing or evacuating...obviously varies according to what the hazard is - seems thats a common theme/problem in answering these questions

ReputationRep:
    ah good point that does sound better than the case study by case study approach. am i right in thinking that effectiveness of prediction basically depends on two largely seperate aspects...how extensive and reliable the prediction is in the first place, and then how constructive the response to the prediction is. then you could do quality of prediction in a type of hazard kinda way, and then response to hazard subdivides into the ones you mentioned eg communication and economic development. maybe too complicated but would possibly work?
    Im nt sure if hazard prediction includes the communicating of it. I know it makes an effective system...

Are you gona talk about how we predict hazards, ie the science behind it??

are people going to explain how the hazards are created??

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt go as far as good - i do have A hurricane case study

Hurricane Mitch 1998 - extensively predicted by US National Hurricane Centre but it actually hit carribean LEDCs like Honduras so it didnt really help because they were too poor to do anything - 6500died, 1.5mil homeless, 900mil dollars crop damage, 80% transport infrastructure destroyed...they evacuated a few people so could say prediction did something to lessen social costs but absolutely nothing for economic
    I cant really remember - was Hurricane Mitch predicted to hit the USA? Where abouts?

ReputationRep:
    as far as i know they knew it was going to hit honduras etc from the way they track them - but because its an ledc there wasnt much they could do about using the prediction to actually reduce impact...had it been a hurricane headed for usa they would have obviously still tracked it and could have better evacuated people becuase usa has a better infrastructure and emergency proceedures

ReputationRep:
    as far as i know they knew it was going to hit honduras etc from the way they track them - but because its an ledc there wasnt much they could do about using the prediction to actually reduce impact...had it been a hurricane headed for usa they would have obviously still tracked it and could have better evacuated people becuase usa has a better infrastructure and emergency proceedures
    Are you going to talk about how the hazards are created and the science behind the predictions?

ReputationRep:
    spose that all depends on the exact question - if it just says for effectiveness of prediction in general then not much, maybe a bit - to the extent that if you dont udnerstand the hazard at all then you cant predict it with any reliability and then its not effective. but other than that no. if it asks to explain how various hazards are predicted specifically then obviously i would have to (grudgingly)

ReputationRep:
    How can we reduce the cause of a natural hazard?

ReputationRep:
    prevent the event from effecting humans then its not a hazard - eg detonate areas prone to avalance to get controlled avalanches while there is noone to be hurt, or even detonate them before the weight of the snow is sufficient to cause a substantial slide.

you can prevent human triggered natural hazards eg vaiont dam and aberfan simply by removing the trigger - not building a dam under a likely landslide area in the case of the former, and not putting spoil heaps on top of a risky landslide area in the case of the latter

some technology even to suggest that you could prevent some earthquakes by pumping lots of mud into fissures in the ground to create lubrication and prevent build up of tension - dont think its ever been acheived with any great success tho

ReputationRep:
    whats it called when an earthquake moves along a fault over time, like in the case of izmit and duzce?

its something like a seismic chain reaction, cant remember what.

ReputationRep:
    What effect does global warming have hurricanes?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by froggymills)
    What effect does global warming have hurricanes?
    increases frequency (as greater amount of sea would be 28degrees plus (min needed)) also increased energy (the increased temps would allow faster uplift) and increased extent (as sea water is warmer for further N or S of Equator, then the warmth needed to maintain their impetus means that their impact can extend into areas further from the equator than before (thus more possible areas are vulnerable)

ReputationRep:
    Management being about reducing effects rather than cause....

I understand reducing the effects (prediction, educating, building regulations, land use planning, etc (any more?!?).

But how can we reduce the causes??!?!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.