The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

MA International politics

Hi, I got a master's offer for international politics at SOAS. I know this uni got a good ranking on QS politics, 5th in UK and 15th global, but it is pretty obscure with other uni rankings (like guardian, THE and so on). I am interested in international relations of Asia and Middle East.

Anyone who is currently doing/finished this master programme at SOAS? would love to hear your experience and opinion about this uni, like student life, quality of teaching, professors… is it worth the money?
Original post by 236482374
Hi, I got a master's offer for international politics at SOAS. I know this uni got a good ranking on QS politics, 5th in UK and 15th global, but it is pretty obscure with other uni rankings (like guardian, THE and so on). I am interested in international relations of Asia and Middle East.

Anyone who is currently doing/finished this master programme at SOAS? would love to hear your experience and opinion about this uni, like student life, quality of teaching, professors… is it worth the money?

Hi, I completed a master's at SOAS a few years ago (pre-COVID times). If you are specifically interested in Asia and the Middle East, SOAS indeed has specialized courses for it and the professors are genuinely good. Student life is okay too but things may have changed post COVID with reduced student interactions. Not to forget, there are often academic disruptions at SOAS due to strikes. I'm not against strikes by the way but it's just that you don't have access to the SOAS building including the library for a good couple of weeks (and months too!).

You are also correct in pointing out the decline in SOAS's global ranking on the Guardian, THE, QS etc. Coming from a developing country where such rankings matter, I realized that subject-wise/ country-wise ranking, no matter how good, made little impact back home and also elsewhere. It was only the London tag that came to my rescue, haha. But on a serious note, I had a hard time looking for home country funding (during application) as well as now for starting a PhD since most places wanted the university to be in the top 100/200.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending