Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    please help me in figuring out how to go about answering this question.
    thank you so much.

The question is:

Efforts are being made to increase the efficiency of railway networks. One way of doing this is to reduce the resistive forces experienced by trains. This can be achieved by levitating the train using very large electric currents which pass through superconducting materials to produce strong magnetic fields. It is important that the train remains at a fixed distance above the rail.

As a first-rate investigation of this effect, an alternating current 'I', is passed through a coil placed at the base of a vertically mounted iron rod. An alumininum ring is placed over the rod. When the coil is energised, the ring rises to a stationary position above the coil.

Design an experiment to investigate how the coil current needed to raise the ring to a fixed distance above the coil varies with the load supported by the alumininum ring.

You should pay attention to:
    (a) a method of attaching the ring,
    (b) the procedure to be followed,
    (c) possible difficulties which may be encountered.

Please help me with this.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Base it around

F = Flux Density x Current x Length Of Wire (F=B x I x l)

F= mg

The force of the magnetic field has got to be equal to the weight of the aluminium ring to get it to hover.

So

mg = BIl

mg/Bl = I

Basically the current depends on the mg of the mass on the ring divided by the flux density and length of wire.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 14, 2008

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.