The Student Room Group

A-Level choices for a prospective law student

Hi! I'm 16, and just finished my GCSEs. At the moment I'm planning on taking Geography, Economics, Latin and an EPQ for A-Levels, with my current plan being to study Law at university. I know these aren't common choices for Law - although there are no required subjects - so I was wondering what other people thought as I have until the end of August to change my mind. Law students and especially Oxford Law students would be most appreciated, but any advice will be great! Thanks!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by stress17
Hi! I'm 16, and just finished my GCSEs. At the moment I'm planning on taking Geography, Economics, Latin and an EPQ for A-Levels, with my current plan being to study Law at university. I know these aren't common choices for Law - although there are no required subjects - so I was wondering what other people thought as I have until the end of August to change my mind. Law students and especially Oxford Law students would be most appreciated, but any advice will be great! Thanks!

A good friend of mine is reading Law at LSE. Advice: Geography isn't a bad subject but History would be better preparation for you (and its preferred more for law).

Hiya

As you said there are no subject requirements but it would be nice to have an essay-based subject to get you in the practice of writing essays because that's what you'd be doing a lot as a law student.

-Himieka
Reply 3
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

As you said there are no subject requirements but it would be nice to have an essay-based subject to get you in the practice of writing essays because that's what you'd be doing a lot as a law student.

-Himieka

Hi! When I went to my school's open evening they said that Economics counted as an essay subject, but now I'm worried because I know usually people take history and/or English Lit and I think Econ is kinda unconvential. Do you think that that would affect my chances of unis accepting me?
Reply 4
Original post by narabarrrr
A good friend of mine is reading Law at LSE. Advice: Geography isn't a bad subject but History would be better preparation for you (and its preferred more for law).

Thanks for your help!! I really wanted to take History but I didn't do it for GCSEs (I did Geography instead, and I seem to have an aptitude for it) and I thought taking it up now would stress me out because I really want to do well. Do you know if it would affect my uni chances if I kept Geog?
Hi! When I went to my school's open evening they said that Economics counted as an essay subject, but now I'm worried because I know usually people take history and/or English Lit and I think Econ is kinda unconvential. Do you think that that would affect my chances of unis accepting me?

Hiya

No, not at all. Unis are more interested in your grade rather than your subject. As long as you meet the grade requirements, everything will be good :smile:

-Himieka
I did English lit, history and German. However you can go to university with any good A levels and 2 of your choices are traditional "facilitating subjects" and economics is not one but is a very highly regarded A level compared to many. I am a lawyer and have lawyer children, one of whom did A levels in Economics and Geography (and History). If those subjects you mention are the ones where you will obtain the highest grades then go for it. Latin used to be compulsory for lawyers but even in my day that was no longer so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending