Turn on thread page Beta

contact lens help!.. 3 lines marking on contacts?? watch

i just got contacts but the optician wasnt there so the woman kinda just gave them to me.. they are special contacts to correct my stigmatism... and they need to be put on a certain way
    there are three line markings on the contacts, one at the bottom and the other two on the left and hand side of the contact.. and these are supposed to be facing you when you place them on...
    BUT i cant see the lines??
    how do you find em
    or can i just out them on anyhow?

ReputationRep:
    Those contacts sound really weird. I have astigmatism but no lines on my lenses - I always thought they sort of moved around in your eye until they were sitting correctly.
    If you cannot see the lines at all I would suggest putting one lens in and checking whether that feels comfortable. Then have a good look round to see if your sight is clear and eveything... if that seems ok then I wouldn't think there was a problem.
    Maybe it's worth ringing up your optician and asking?

ReputationRep:
    OK I don't know anything about special contacts for astigmatism, so take all this with a pinch of salt as perhaps there's a special way round you're meant to put them in....

With mine I don't bother looking for markings (they are sometimes difficult to see, try holding the lens up to the light), instead I look at the contact side on while it's sitting on my finger. If it is a simple bowl shape, then it's the right way round, if the top edges curve outwards it's wrong...

Right: http://scriblerus.net/kunkelfruit/im...ntact_lens.jpg
    Wrong: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2245/...4d7402fa54.jpg

If you're not sure, gently turn the lens inside out to compare (at least this is what I do with dailies), it will be obvious which is right.

Though really your opticians shouldn't be giving you contacts without showing you properly how to put them in!

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't really need to line them up or anything. I have astigmatism and just pop them in like normal contacts. Work's fine.

ReputationRep:
    OK - put the lens on your finger, it should topple over to the heavier side. The heavy side is the bit with the three lines, which would be at 5 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 7 o'clock if you imagine the contact as a clock.

I.e. the heavier side at the bottom of your eye!

ReputationRep:
    Most people have astigmatism [as well as myself] and don't need to 'line up' their lenses or anything, infact I work in an opticians and I haven't heard of it, so this is a bit weird. I'm thinking maybe she meant didn't put them on inside out, so put them in making sure they're inside out, and if you can see, viola! If not, then I dunno xD I'd suggest just putting them in and seeing if your okay, if they're for astigmatism you'll know if they're not right, plus, if they're inside out or anything they'll really irritate your eyes.
    If in doubt, phone your opticians tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munkie)
    OK - put the lens on your finger, it should topple over to the heavier side. The heavy side is the bit with the three lines, which would be at 5 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 7 o'clock if you imagine the contact as a clock.

I.e. the heavier side at the bottom of your eye!
    Wow, didn't know that. I haven't heard of these before, I shall ask on saturday. Pretty bad seeing as I'm applying for Orthoptics xD

ReputationRep:
    THey are supposed to be there. Mine used to have them too...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.