Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So at the moment, on the website SOAS wants BBB for BA Korean, however I heard from one of the lecturers on the open day that he was looking for maybe BBC - BCC. Does anyone do Korean at SOAS and what kind of grades were the offer like? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You heard that from this year? Cuz I thought it was ABB to get in this year. Although, there's not that many people doing the course. Maybe they're pretty relaxed.. Afaik, it was ABB this year, BBB the year before and BBC/BCC (can't remember) the year before. I suppose the most authoritive source would be the lecturer, although he might not be the admissions tutor so I dunno. Maybe ring up, if you can get through to anyone.. :b

ReputationRep:
    They went up? O.o Seems like so, just checked now. Thats pretty annoying because last week I checked it was BBB! SOAS's pretty confusing...

ReputationRep:
    does this mean the hebrew and israeli studies requirement might go up too? i was really hoping for a low offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noémie)
    does this mean the hebrew and israeli studies requirement might go up too? i was really hoping for a low offer
    Depends on the demand. I don't think it should tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Its ABB... what was it before? Seems like the bumping up of grade requirements are either due to high demand or just filtering and detering lower grade applicants so admissions tutors have less work to do psh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    Depends on the demand. I don't think it should tbh.
    yay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaseoki)
    Its ABB... what was it before? Seems like the bumping up of grade requirements are either due to high demand or just filtering and detering lower grade applicants so admissions tutors have less work to do psh.
    SOAS is going up the world.

ReputationRep:
    It used to be BCC, but now it`s up to ABB. If you are taking Korean I can testify that the language side of the learning (at least) is far more relaxed than the Japanese department, and so it may be reflected in the admissions...possibly, although I think not. In any case, SOAS aren`t ruthlessly strict on entry grades.

ReputationRep:
    So what kind of grades are suitable you would think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaseoki)
    So what kind of grades are suitable you would think?
    If you have something like ABBB or BBBB or BBB you should have a good chance if your PS is good - you might get in with one C, but I'd be less sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eien)
    If you have something like ABBB or BBBB or BBB you should have a good chance if your PS is good - you might get in with one C, but I'd be less sure.
    Yeah I got in for Korean with ABC, although the C was a strong one and I worked really hard on my PS. I guess they take into account more than just the grades, because the entry requirement for me was ABB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenamja)
    Yeah I got in for Korean with ABC, although the C was a strong one and I worked really hard on my PS. I guess they take into account more than just the grades, because the entry requirement for me was ABB.
    That sounds about right - as Korean is not the most popular subject, it isn't as competitive as many other subjects.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 16, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.