Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hummel, I'm alsmost certain that the French situation means NOTHING!!!!
    Remember:
    1) Just because you have seen some French offers, does not mean that the department has even looked at your application yet - it may be at the bottom of the pile
    AND, (more importantly)
    2) Your application has to be cleared by both departments, therefore the only time you should start worrying is when Philosophy offers start to come through as well (which is when we'll ALL be worried!!!)

Do not let these French offers worry you!

ReputationRep:
    Awwww thanks you two for cheering me up!!

I didn't know that the application had to go through both departments before a final decision is made

Oh dear... yeah but that will propably still take quite some time until they will start with the Philosophy offers... they have a reputation to be quite slow I have heart

ReputationRep:
    I just got an offer
    *big long massive sigh of relief*
    my fingers are crossed as tightly as a pair of very tight tights for the rest of you!
    GOOD LUCK!

(Original post by milliethephilosopher)
    I just got an offer
    Great! What are your conditions?

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional
    woooooooooo!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    well done!

How did you find out?

ReputationRep:
    by logging onto hotmail, seeing that my track status had been updated, logging into UCAS and seeing that glorious word "Unconditional" sitting next to St Andrews!

any news for anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, but I'm hoping it won't be long now.

ReputationRep:
    Big congratulations. Hopefully more of us (especially me) will see you there.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats Millie!

ReputationRep:
    Nice job millie!

Good luck to the rest of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jormungandr)
    Congrats Millie!
    Hi, i have a question for you if you dont mind.i applied for philosophy and mod history and i was really really hoping for an offer since oxford rejected. i was really stoked about st andrews but i just read your posts about how totally analytical sta philosophy is and you almost made me cry. i am really very much into ancient greek philosophy but most of all into kierkegard, nietzsche schopenhauer, sartre or heidegger. i know this is weird but on the uni website i noticed that the department is quite analytical but a good number of tutors had subjects like moral or political philosophy etc so i thought it would be ok, but from what you said it seems like there is no continental stuff at all. so basically my question is this are there pretty much no classes or tutorials or however you call it in the philosophers i have mentioned above? because if yes i am totally screwed...

(Original post by _denis_)
    kierkegard, nietzsche schopenhauer, sartre or heidegger.
    Bad news I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekpyrotic)
    Bad news I'm afraid.
    you are making me sad...

ReputationRep:
    congrats millie,
    i must say that i am getting more worried now, i dont really like the other uni's ive applied to , i just sooo want st andrews.
    If i dont get in i dont know what i would do.
    Should find out by the end of thi week or next
    gd luck guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _denis_)
    Hi, i have a question for you if you dont mind.i applied for philosophy and mod history and i was really really hoping for an offer since oxford rejected. i was really stoked about st andrews but i just read your posts about how totally analytical sta philosophy is and you almost made me cry. i am really very much into ancient greek philosophy but most of all into kierkegard, nietzsche schopenhauer, sartre or heidegger. i know this is weird but on the uni website i noticed that the department is quite analytical but a good number of tutors had subjects like moral or political philosophy etc so i thought it would be ok, but from what you said it seems like there is no continental stuff at all. so basically my question is this are there pretty much no classes or tutorials or however you call it in the philosophers i have mentioned above? because if yes i am totally screwed...
    Sorry, there is no opportunity to do continental here, and none of the philosophers you mention will come up (with the possible exception of Schopenhauer, very obtusely).

Many tutors do indeed have interests in political and moral philosophy (as a student, that's my interest too) but it's overwhelmingly analytic in nature; lots of Rawls and meta-ethics, little else.

(Original post by Jormungandr)
    and none of the philosophers you mention will come up (with the possible exception of Schopenhauer, very obtusely).
    Jormungandr ever the pessimist. Booom!

ReputationRep:
    Will I be disadvantaged having brought up Sartre on my personal statement then? Though I am also heavily interested in that kind of Philosophy, I feel I can teach myself it quite well and I'd like to expand into new grounds like analytic philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekpyrotic)
    Jormungandr ever the pessimist. Booom!
    Your new avatar is seriously, seriously creepy. You've gone from friendly pipe-smoking Russell to I-will-crush-your-bones-and-use-it-as-tobacco Russell

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone have any offers or rejections from st andrews for philosophy?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 1, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.