Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically I have been looking for a job for a little more than a year with no luck, not even an interview. I'm under the impression that it is because i have no previous work experience, except a small stint volunteering in an Oxfam.

Are there any jobs where experience isn't really needed; although i've applied to nearly every supermarket, clothes shop around. I was hoping i would get something with shops looking for Christmas Temps but i've already been rejected from Boots, the Hilton and Next. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    If i were you, i would just keep applying til you get something. Because of the credit crunch, employers will only be wanting the best people, so you may struggle. Be best to apply for every single job you see advertised.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by steeler4life)
    If i were you, i would just keep applying til you get something. Because of the credit crunch, employers will only be wanting the best people, so you may struggle. Be best to apply for every single job you see advertised.
    agreed, its what im doing at the moment, got about 10 job apps out, and so far, none are looking hopeful

ReputationRep:
    Look for things other than retail, for example temporary office work.

I tried to get a job in retail for so long without even getting one interview - I've found jobs in other areas easier to come by.

You could try agencies as well.

ReputationRep:
    It is possible, I got a job with no experience when I was 16. You just have to wait for the opportunities. Keep applying and you should get something. I went round town giving my cv to just about every shop. But now, i'm looking for a new job and even though I have experience I have still had no interviews. It might have something to do with the credit crunch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharvie)
    Basically I have been looking for a job for a little more than a year with no luck, not even an interview. I'm under the impression that it is because i have no previous work experience, except a small stint volunteering in an Oxfam.

Are there any jobs where experience isn't really needed; although i've applied to nearly every supermarket, clothes shop around. I was hoping i would get something with shops looking for Christmas Temps but i've already been rejected from Boots, the Hilton and Next. :mad:
    Do you run a house? Running a home is experience in itself. I didn't 'work' for 10 years whilst being a single parent. I managed and paid my own bills, made sure the kids were fed and clothed, cleaned the house, I have a dog and 2 cats, I run a car. If thats not various experience I dont know what is! Did you know the word manager originates from meaning managing a home? So the guy that helped me do my cv said anyway! (although I think he was trying to be nice because thats not what it says on Google lol)
    The fact you volunteered in Oxfam is relivant too! Hilton is hard to get into, I sent my cv to them & got a reply saying sorry you wont be invited for an interview. And I had worked there as a teen at weekends in the same job as I was applying for!Best thing to do is to go in places like Argos, Asda, D.I.Y stores, Tesco (Sainsburys is online apps only)
    I reakon you have just been unlucky, & your time will come.
    Im not religous at all but I do believe there is a reason you haven't got one yet, and thats because the best job for you is still out there, and if you had got one of the others before, you would miss the one you will end up getting x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharvie)

McDonalds, and other places like this, seem to be the only ones that really take you on at the mo if you have no experience...try applying there

ReputationRep:
    You can always get a job with no experience. Everyone starts somewhere. Personally, I try to write a covering letter in a way that presents my bad things as good things. A lack of experience = a strong desire to prove oneself and a keen ability to learn new skills. Accentuate every little thing you've ever done, i.e. - positions of responsibility at school. Play up your volunteering stint a little, say how dedicated you have been at school and how helpful you have been. It's never easy when you're going around wondering why people are rejecting you, but as long as you prove your dedication to work you will eventually get a job. It took me fourteen applications to get my first job, it took me more to get my second. My recent job, during the credit crunch, took thirteen attempts including a number of re-wordings, changes to my covering letter amongst other things.

Keep trying, try to suit your application to the job and play up everything you've done. If the worst comes to the worst, you could even tell a few white lies. It's utterly reprehensible, but I did it to get a job and it got me my first rung on the ladder.

ReputationRep:
    Lol.I'm in the same boat.I have been volunteering at Oxfam for like 3 months now and that is all the experience I have.I have had so many rejections.I have been trying to get a bloody job since the summer.

ReputationRep:
    You guys are such an inspiration! I can feel the hope! *crys*

ReputationRep:
    lol ive left
    ORANGE
    MATALAN
    TESCO
    you can have any of those jobs, they woz pooh set for orange now i work asda night shift ahh the life

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.