The Student Room Group

Do creative subjects (art, music etc.) showcase students' creativity well enough?

Do creative subjects showcase students' creativity well enough?

When I was at school (which is not as long ago as that phrase suggests!), as we moved up the years, in art and music we focused as much on learning about and reproducing other people's work than on creating our own. That meant, for example, learning about artists' styles and creating artwork in that style, or learning to play well-known pieces of music on the keyboards in music.

It was only if people took art or music as a GCSE option that they had more freedom to create, by which point most students (myself included) had dropped creative subjects.

Was your experience similar, or did you have more creative lessons in the creative arts? Should the curriculum place more focus on allowing students to be creative? And if so, what resources might schools need to allow them to do this?

More curriculum conversations like this

Teachers are (rightly) trained to provide students with structure when giving them tasks - including in creative subjects. I think because too many children are afraid of getting things wrong, if you told a child in secondary school to "write a story", "draw a picture", "devise a performance", they couldn't. They sit there and ask what or how they should do it, rather than having a go.

This is a problem to which I have not found an answer :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending