Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A teacher I know swapped undergrad to postgrad between the 2 (Ox -> Cam) because the cambridge department was much bigger and better for his new subject (physics and philosophy to h+p of science)

He said he preffered Oxford but Im sure there is a hint of undergrad bias.

ReputationRep:
    Notice how 95% of the opinions in here are only uninformed perceptions.

Enjoyment is entirely subjective, and unless you can experience both there is no real comparison to be drawn.

I assume if you are looking for bigger clubs then Oxford may seem more appealing, because the town itself is larger. However, there is much more to university fun than clubbing.

ReputationRep:
    90 people?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Oxford is certainly more fun-loving and informal than Cambridge. Take from me who has experienced both. I can even upload the rejection letters for a quick comparison, if you want.

nooooooooooooooo

ReputationRep:
    they are both 'boring'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resok)
    Nevermind, you're avatar is a black X, usually associated with straight edge. Look it up on wikipedia, I'm edge myself.
    Why on Earth would you want to be straightedge?

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea. But take this into consideration:

Hugh Laurie
    Stephen Fry
    David Mitchell
    Robert Webb.

They all went to Cambridge. I doubt it will be all work and no play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little_Bear)

Hugh Laurie
    Stephen Fry
    David Mitchell
    David Webb.

And don't forget the Monty Python gang

ReputationRep:
    This is one of my biggest reservations about going to Oxford to read chemistry, actually. A big attraction about going to University for me is going out 2/3 times a week (more frequently in some cases!), larking about and generally indulging in a lot of 'laddish' behaviour. If Oxford is lacking in this respect, I might try Warwick or Durham instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little_Bear)

Hugh Laurie
    Stephen Fry
    David Mitchell
    David Webb.

It's Robert Webb! Everybody seems to know its David Mitchell, but no-one seems to know's that Webb's first name is Robert.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tc123)
    It's Robert Webb! Everybody seems to know its David Mitchell, but no-one seems to know's that Webb's first name is Robert.:yep:

haha sorry. I did know that, it's been a loooong day. I typed out Stephen Laurie and nearly posted it like that. I knew something was still wrong....damn it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Cambridge(albeit for a postgrad) and I visited Oxford for the first time at the weekend. It's really weird because the two towns seem really similar yet really different.

Cambridge seems friendlier, probably because it's smaller, Oxford seemed more hustle and bustle ish. Cambridge also seems to be much easier to get around. I also found Oxford a bit more intimidating.

One possible reason Oxford sounds more fun is because Cambridge is more science based whereas Oxford is Arts based and science is never really going to have a "fun" reputation.

All in all they both are great places and I don't think you'd feel you missed out regardless which one you were at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    This is one of my biggest reservations about going to Oxford to read chemistry, actually. A big attraction about going to University for me is going out 2/3 times a week (more frequently in some cases!), larking about and generally indulging in a lot of 'laddish' behaviour. If Oxford is lacking in this respect, I might try Warwick or Durham instead.
    Warwick and Durham don't really have the reputation of being much better.

Although I'm slightly suspicious as to whether you're just being a tad self-deprecating/dry or whether you're being sarcastic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IeuanF)
    Warwick and Durham don't really have the reputation of being much better.

Although I'm slightly suspicious as to whether you're just being a tad self-deprecating/dry or whether you're being sarcastic...
    Nope, I say this in utmost seriousness. I guenuinely want to have a laugh at University, and considering that fewer than 12% of students in Oxford are from Working-Class homes ( source: Times Good University Guide), I'm beginning to have second thoughts, despite the orgasmic gorgeousness of the course offered.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I say this in utmost seriousness. I guenuinely want to have a laugh at University, and considering that fewer than 12% of students in Oxford are from Working-Class homes ( source: Times Good University Guide), I'm beginning to have second thoughts, despite the orgasmic gorgeousness of the course offered.
    True, only people from working-class homes are allowed to have a laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resok)
    Nevermind, you're avatar is a black X, usually associated with straight edge. Look it up on wikipedia, I'm edge myself.
    I thought that was so 80's or whatever?
    Is it really 'a thing' today?
    I'm 'edge', but not on purpose, it's just how I've been forever. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    if this is what you want then yes, please go to warwick or durham, use the word "banter" to your heart's content

ReputationRep:
    Often, the behaviour of the people in the universities is determined more by the city itself. This is partly because it's self-selecting in that sense.

If you want to go out lots at Oxford you'll find plenty who do that. if you want to work hard in the library/your room then there'll be quite a lot of people who'll do that too. You'll make the uni experience what you want it to be, to a large extent. What college are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IeuanF)
    Often, the behaviour of the people in the universities is determined more by the city itself. This is partly because it's self-selecting in that sense.

If you want to go out lots at Oxford you'll find plenty who do that. if you want to work hard in the library/your room then there'll be quite a lot of people who'll do that too. You'll make the uni experience what you want it to be, to a large extent. What college are you applying to?
    St. Catherine's. Chose it due to its size.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    I thought that was so 80's or whatever?
    Is it really 'a thing' today?
    I'm 'edge', but not on purpose, it's just how I've been forever. :rolleyes:
    You're not 'edge' unless you do it because bands tell you to and you want to fit in with your friends & the xfashionx. xtuffx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.