The Student Room Group

Student Housing/Accommodation for Couples

Hiya, I'm an international student whose immigrating to the UK with their boyfriend next year. I'll be studying but he's chosen to work instead. Does anyone know of student accommodation companies that allow couples to live together, even if one-half of the couple isn't going to university? If not, can you recommend any alternatives? I'm looking for places in Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle, Reading, Plymouth, Bristol, Warwick, and Coventry (the university/area I end up choosing is really dependent on where he and I can stay, from my research so far, a lot of companies DON'T allow it). Thanks in advance for the help guys!
Hi, maybe you could look for a flat at rightmove or openrent, I have rent a 1b1b flat with my boyfriend on rightmove,they may check your legal residency certificate.
A flat is a good idea, and you can also look for studio accommodation. Often these studios are for both students and working professionals, and do allow couples to live together. A lot of student houses/shared houses in general don't, so a flat or a studio would be your best options :smile:

I hope this helps.

- Rosie
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by kyraxrae
Hiya, I'm an international student whose immigrating to the UK with their boyfriend next year. I'll be studying but he's chosen to work instead. Does anyone know of student accommodation companies that allow couples to live together, even if one-half of the couple isn't going to university? If not, can you recommend any alternatives? I'm looking for places in Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle, Reading, Plymouth, Bristol, Warwick, and Coventry (the university/area I end up choosing is really dependent on where he and I can stay, from my research so far, a lot of companies DON'T allow it). Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Hey!

I'm currently in a flat with my boyfriend in Sheffield and he's studying and I'm just finishing my studies and will be working and our letting agent didn't mind (we're with Claypenny Properties). I just had to have a guarantor (my mum) to sign a form when we signed the tenancy agreement. So I think it's best just to find something you like and ask the landlord/agent/company. If not, rightmove, zoopla, and private studio flats as the others suggested could be an option for you.

Best of luck! If you have any further questions about housing/Sheffield I'm more than happy to help :smile:

Emily
- MA Psychology of Music
Hey,

Since you will be a student and he will be working, I doubt that your university/any student specific accommodation will be able to accommodate your boyfriend!

Everyone has given great advice, I recommend letting agencies like Right Move - you can find a budget friendly apartment/studio to live together. Just make sure you read the requirements and ask any questions to the agency to make sure it is a right fit for you both!

I hope this helps 😊
Sara
Original post by kyraxrae

Hi @kyraxrae, unfortunately, you can only apply for Sheffield Hallam halls of residence if you are a full-time student at a higher education institution. Due to this rule, your boyfriend won't be able to stay in halls at Sheffield Hallam. However, there is a wide range of private sector student accommodation available in Sheffield city centre that you can contact to ask if they'll allow couples to live together, if one half of the couple isn't attending university.

You can find more information on our private sector accommodation page.

You can visit our Accommodation for International Students page for advice and information on applying for halls of residence and private sector accommodation for Sheffield Hallam.

I hope you find this useful.
Emily (Official Sheffield Hallam Rep)
Some universities do provide accommodation for post graduate students. You might need to confirm that the uni would be ok with someone working.
Your boyfriend must have the ability to work legally - unless they are a British citizen.
If your boyfriend was caught working (illegally) he could be deported.
That could impact on your visa, if your visa results in your deportation then the uni normally keeps your fees.

But in short, yes some unis have accommodation for families. You may find that private accommodation is cheaper
Hi there! Are you still looking for private accommodation in Edinburgh? I have a studio flat available for lease transfer with prestige student living (straits meadow location). Perfect space for a couple. Please let me know if you’re interested for September! Or if you know anyone in need of it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending