The Student Room Group

TSR Garden Time: Show us what you've grown this summer!

:flower2: TSR Garden Time:flower2:

It's summer and the perfect time to show off your greenery. From indoor plants to outdoor ones, we want to see it all.

:flower:

Do you have a story behind certain plants? Or do you have a tragic event that happened to one of your plants? If so, this is the place to share!

Feel free to show us your pic of the day :biggrin:

Haven't grown anything yet? Maybe this is your time to start :yep:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KA_P
:flower2: TSR Garden Time:flower2:

It's summer and the perfect time to show off your greenery. From indoor plants to outdoor ones, we want to see it all.

:flower:

Do you have a story behind certain plants? Or do you have a tragic event that happened to one of your plants? If so, this is the place to share!

Feel free to show us your pic of the day :biggrin:

Haven't grown anything yet? Maybe this is your time to start :yep:

Love this thread! Unfortunately all my plants have indeed ended in tragedy, I will unfold the story soon
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Love this thread! Unfortunately all my plants have indeed ended in tragedy, I will unfold the story soon

Naww :eek: I'm looking forward to hear the story :console:
steve the cactus.jpg
This is Steve.

Steve was a mini cactus purchased from IKEA before I went to University.

Steve sat on my first year student accommodation windowsill at University.

Steve was supposed to do the above.

The reality was that Steve was knocked over so many times and lost so much soil that it was quite strange how Steve survived...

4 years later, Steve returned to a more stable location and was promised more cactus soil.
Steve's carer forgot to put the cactus soil into Steve's pot.
Steve died.

RIP Steve.
I don't have a garden, I do however have a very nice spider plant that lives on a shelf in my bedroom :yes:
I also have 2 plants that I killed off :colondollar:
steve the cactus.jpg
This is Steve.

The reality was that Steve was knocked over so many times and lost so much soil that it was quite strange how Steve survived...

4 years later, Steve returned to a more stable location and was promised more cactus soil.
Steve died.

RIP Steve.

:eek2: Steve shall be missed very much, let's take a moment of silence to appreciate the battles Steve had fought and survived :yep:

Side note: Steve looked so cute in that photo :puppyeyes:
Original post by thrivingfrog
I don't have a garden, I do however have a very nice spider plant that lives on a shelf in my bedroom :yes:

Oooh spider plants are really cool :woo:
They do give me jumpscares during the night however ๐Ÿ™ˆ

I also have 2 plants that I killed off :colondollar:

:console: did they live a long life?
wendy the plant.jpgThis is Wendy.
[Real name forgotten, I always forgot what I called this one because let's face it, Steve is way cooler + more memorable for sure :u:]

Wendy had a much more stable life than Steve. I probably did overwater her but she didn't get knocked over as much as poor Steve.
Also an IKEA purchase pre-Uni, Wendy was looking real good until some of her leaves started to go brown...

Unfortunately I am not very good with plants (if you couldn't already tell) and I thought that if the leaves went brown you had to cut them until the point they were still green... Even if they were weird prickly leaves like Wendy's.
So I did that..... with the only scissors I had at the time... which were those weird krinkly art scissors that children have :s-smilie: I don't really know why I just didn't get another pair...

Anyway long story short, Wendy's leaves died although new ones were growing and she was doing well.
I think Wendy really could've done with a larger pot after I was finished with University. So I left Wendy to be re-potted and cared for with more Cactus soil.

Unfortunately Wendy's new carer also forgot to re-pot and re-house Wendy. Wendy also did not receive more Cactus soil.

Wendy also died.
Original post by KA_P
Oooh spider plants are really cool :woo:
They do give me jumpscares during the night however ๐Ÿ™ˆ

:console: did they live a long life?

I don't think either of them lasted more than a few weeks :colondollar: May I just say that my cat played a big part in their tragic endings, it wasn't all froggys fault
The final plant that I ever owned was so short-lived that I can't find a photo of it :redface:
I did not name this one.

It was one of these type of plants:

It was a really sweet leaving gift after I finished a summer job before leaving University.

I tried really hard to look after it....
.................................................................but I got too excited about it
............................................................................................overwatered it and it died :emo: :frown:
wendy the plant.jpgThis is Wendy.
[Real name forgotten, I always forgot what I called this one because let's face it, Steve is way cooler + more memorable for sure :u:]

Wendy had a much more stable life than Steve. I probably did overwater her but she didn't get knocked over as much as poor Steve.
Also an IKEA purchase pre-Uni, Wendy was looking real good until some of her leaves started to go brown...

Unfortunately I am not very good with plants (if you couldn't already tell) and I thought that if the leaves went brown you had to cut them until the point they were still green... Even if they were weird prickly leaves like Wendy's.
So I did that..... with the only scissors I had at the time... which were those weird krinkly art scissors that children have :s-smilie: I don't really know why I just didn't get another pair...

Anyway long story short, Wendy's leaves died although new ones were growing and she was doing well.
I think Wendy really could've done with a larger pot after I was finished with University. So I left Wendy to be re-potted and cared for with more Cactus soil.

Unfortunately Wendy's new carer also forgot to re-pot and re-house Wendy. Wendy also did not receive more Cactus soil.

Wendy also died.

RIP Wendy (I agree Steve is a very cool name!)

Now that you mention it, I don't know what to do when the leaves go brown either :0
I've overwatered Aloe Vera a few times too many that my mum no longer trusts me with them, she has managed to bring a few back to life though!
I don't think either of them lasted more than a few weeks :colondollar: May I just say that my cat played a big part in their tragic endings, it wasn't all froggys fault

A few weeks is an achievement! :hugs:
I understand :yep: cat's can be fascinated by such greenery!
The final plant that I ever owned was so short-lived that I can't find a photo of it :redface:
I did not name this one.

It was a really sweet leaving gift after I finished a summer job before leaving University.

.................................................................but I got too excited about it
............................................................................................overwatered it and it died :emo: :frown:

You did read the title ... show us what youve grown, not show us what youve killed?
I did not name this one.

:console: this plant too shall be missed dearly, it's such a pretty and unique plant, I don't think I've seen that plant before :eek:

The woes of overwatering :bawling:
This sempervivum has no name, but its alive :banana:
sempervivum.jpg
Screenshot_2022-07-25-20-48-09-30_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Meet Edwardo

Edwardo was a lockdown project of mine that lasted a few months. I made sure the pot was kept clean and tried to brush off any aphids. I fed Edwardo distilled water as advised, that was until I ran out of distilled water and couldn't buy anymore ๐Ÿฅฒ

Edwardo didn't survive long on regular water :no:
Edwardo too shall be missed dearly
Original post by mqb2766
This sempervivum has no name, but its alive :banana:
sempervivum.jpg

Woah, this looks beautiful. Just searched it up and the Latin meaning is 'always living' :woo:

A very cool plant! Do you water it often?
Original post by KA_P
Woah, this looks beautiful. Just searched it up and the Latin meaning is 'always living' :woo:

A very cool plant! Do you water it often?

They're fairly drought tolerant and I usually chuck them in the garden over the summer, but when one flowers its good to enjoy it inside. Theres a cobweb variant which is quite good as well
https://www.farmyardnurseries.co.uk/shop/Sempervivum-arachnoideum-'Spiders-Web'-M5232
will take a few pics in the garden tomorrow.
steve the cactus.jpg
This is Steve.

Steve died.

RIP Steve.

Best short story ever :rofl:

RIP poor Steve :rip: :no: :cry:

Steve & Wendy's carer :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending