The Student Room Group

should i apply to Oxford

In my GCSEs i got 99988866655 (9s in maths and further maths.)
Im predicted A*A*A*A at A level (A* in maths and further maths)
Would it be unreasonable to apply to oxford for mathematics, iv heard that 2 main factors are the interview and the MAT and im confident i could do well in them, would that be enough to offset my GCSEs, although theyre not bad, most oxford students will have better, so would it be to farfetched to apply to oxford?
Original post by Mertzy3739
Would it be unreasonable to apply to oxford for mathematics, iv heard that 2 main factors are the interview and the MAT and im confident i could do well in them, would that be enough to offset my GCSEs, although theyre not bad, most oxford students will have better, so would it be to farfetched to apply to oxford?

No, it wouldn’t be far fetched to apply to Oxford. Go for it! I’d say start doing MAT past papers asap and if you are getting over 70% on most of them, then you’ve got a fairly strong chance of getting in.

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/maths-admissions-test/mat-past-papers
Reply 2
That’s very reassuring, thank you very much

It would probably be enough to offset your GCSEs, but I would be much more concerned by the fact you aren't meeting the entry requirements with your predictions (require A* in both maths and fm). Try and get your fm prediction up, because I am no expert but I think you would need a very high MAT score to offset that since almost everyone applying will meet the requirements at minimum.
Reply 4
Original post by DeBeauvoir2
It would probably be enough to offset your GCSEs, but I would be much more concerned by the fact you aren't meeting the entry requirements with your predictions (require A* in both maths and fm). Try and get your fm prediction up, because I am no expert but I think you would need a very high MAT score to offset that since almost everyone applying will meet the requirements at minimum.

the requirements are A*A*A with A* in maths and further maths, and as i say im predicted A* in both maths and further maths, not to mention also physics, 3A* definitely meets the entry requirements.
the requirements are A*A*A with A* in maths and further maths, and as i say im predicted A* in both maths and further maths, not to mention also physics, 3A* definitely meets the entry requirements.

What do your teachers think? Have they started MAT prep with you?

[Presumably your GCSEs were TAGs?]
You have basically flawless grades, so what would be the concern with applying there?

Also maths (and similar courses like CS, physics) don't really care much about your GCSE at Oxford compared to other courses there as I understand it. 9s in the relevant subjects plus a good score in the MAT I imagine should be sufficient to be a realistic option for interview, and thereafter I expect the interview will be the dominant factor in determining if you get an offer.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
What do your teachers think? Have they started MAT prep with you?

[Presumably your GCSEs were TAGs?]

yeah my GCSEs were tags, we are starting when we go back to school after the holidays but im doing quite a but over the holidays myself
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
You have basically flawless grades, so what would be the concern with applying there?

Also maths (and similar courses like CS, physics) don't really care much about your GCSE at Oxford compared to other courses there as I understand it. 9s in the relevant subjects plus a good score in the MAT I imagine should be sufficient to be a realistic option for interview, and thereafter I expect the interview will be the dominant factor in determining if you get an offer.

okay thank you, any suggestions on how i could prepare for the interview?
yeah my GCSEs were tags, we are starting when we go back to school after the holidays but im doing quite a but over the holidays myself

Good - there's loads of resources and we started after Easter [state school]. If you are invited to interview ask your school to arrange a practice; we swap candidates with another school so they are questioned by someone they don't know.

I would guess MAT prep would double well as interview preparation. You might also want to try your hand at some STEP questions in preparation, particularly focusing on being able to explain your reasoning for whatever approach you take and your thought process in approaching the problem at hand.

Have a look at the following resources, maybe?

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/Interview_Question_2019_JM.pdf

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BPJbmkohYFI

oh i must have misread sorry.
Original post by DeBeauvoir2
oh i must have misread sorry.

its fine dw

Original post by artful_lounger
I would guess MAT prep would double well as interview preparation. You might also want to try your hand at some STEP questions in preparation, particularly focusing on being able to explain your reasoning for whatever approach you take and your thought process in approaching the problem at hand.

okay thank you both, i will do both of these things over the holidays.

Quick Reply