Turn on thread page Beta

Landlord/warden I think is being unfair am I right? watch

ReputationRep:
    Lived there 3 weeks, fair enough at first I paid the rent the week in arrears since my loan hadnt arrived but paid deposit and landlord was ok with that.

Last week I paid on the Wednesday but got pestered from the Monday about the rent.

The warden(never met the landlord) says the rent is due each week from the date moved in, i.e move in Thursday rent is due every Thursday.

But I moved in on a Wednesday and saw her earlier and she asks me where the rent money is, I said it isnt due till tommorow and she grumpily said "according to my notes its today" and I said "its tommorow but I can pay today" but havent seen her since, because im up town.

Problem 2 is that I like to hand her the cash and get a receipt, each time I have to pester for a receipt plus she expects me to leave the money under her door which im not happy with for obvious reasons(i.e she could say I never paid it or it can get stolen) she told me I should get used to doing it that way as no one else has a problem.

Apart from that everythings fine but I dont feel comfortable leaving cash under someones door in fear of it being stolen, or claimed I havent done it plus not getting a receipt as backup, plus my rents due tommorow so dont like to be pressured today.

ReputationRep:
    Stick to your guns. Never leave cash, and always get a receipt.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't like leaving money under someone's door either. Esecially if they were being a bit funny about it. Tell her you want a receipt so want to give it to her rather than leave it under the door.

ReputationRep:
    Its unusual to pay weekly by cash. Couldn't you arrange to pay monthly by cheque or weekly/monthly by bank transfer (that way you'd have a record)?

Get it in writing that your rent is due on the wednesday from the landlady.

I wouldn't leave cash under someone's door. It doesn't seem safe and seems really unclear who's responsible if the money goes missing. I'd be really suprised if everyone else who lives there is perfectly happy to leave cash under someone's door.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly but I prefer to pay cash till semester 2 since then my income pretty much doubles and I want to leave cash in the bank to be on good terms with the bank since most of my loan went on overdraft.

The excuse is the warden works 2 other jobs so is hardly ever in the house so she might be there 1 hour a day or just to sleep so otherwise I wouldnt get a chance to pay

ReputationRep:
    Always get a recipet, never leave cash, always pay on the same day and stick to it.

Just hold out.

Can't you play monthly? God, weekly rent must be HASSLE

ReputationRep:
    doesn't sound right

get a receipt and hand her the money in person, or even better, get it done through the bank so there's solid proof u pay rent

also, do u have an agreement in writing?

ReputationRep:
    She has the tenancy agreement but I remember it just saying rent due weekly and the term of the contract(42 weeks I think) was going to ask for a copy anyway.

I prefer paying weekly as it makes me feel good paying a bill(because I was on benefits for ages before)

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd set up a weekly direct debit.

The argument "noone else has a problem with it" is ********. You aren;'t everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Rather than asking for a receipt, do you have a rent book? According to section 4 of the landlord and tenant act 1985 is it a criminal offence for a landlord not to provide a rent book in situations where rent is paid weekly (I believe this applies to lodgers as well as those on an AST, but I'm not 100% on that). You should have one, and your rent payments should be recorded in it - it protects you as much of the landlord and I'd ask for one asap, if you don't have one. A landlord who is asking someone to push rent under the door and get no receipt is just dumb. Even with a rent book you *should* really get a receipt, it's just sensible record keeping on both sides.

ReputationRep:
    Right this weeks rent was due yesterday but I couldnt find her so didnt pay.

Got a phone call this morning moaning that I havent paid and its the third time and shes fed up with it!

I said to her that im happy to pay but want to meet her to give it due to problems in the past and got the usual "oh no one else has a problem" and if I want to pay her direct I have to pay 6 weeks in advance!

I did say to her I will just do a standing order each week and she said ok but only after I pay this weeks rent.

Now what annoys me is I have only lived there 3 weeks and 1 day, and I asked her when I moved in could I pay the first 2 weeks rent late since my loan hadnt arrived and she was fine with that, then when my loan arrived I paid the arrears plus the week in advance.

So yes this is the third time its late but the first 2 were agreed by warden, I even said if that wasnt ok id wait 2 weeks to move in but they said its no problem just pay arrears when they arrive.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all again, well I went to see her after I got back from uni yesterday and tried a few times and she wasnt in.

Went to class this morning and got a really snotty phone call saying I havent paid rent, im making no effort to pay and if I dont pay her today she will chuck me out, put my stuff on the street and keep my deposit!

I went to SU and in that 10 minutes had a bout 50 missed calls from her! I didnt want to speak to her direct and got SU to and she suddenly was really polite to them on phone and we arranged me to pay at 6pm

I got back to house at 6pm and she was in there with some people and moaned at me to my face about me paying late and NEVER paying on time(as I say I told her when moving in my loan wasnt due for 2 weeks) but I did pay on time last week and would of this week if she was in.

When she went into her living room to get a piece of paper and pen to write the bank details down for a standing order some female said to her "is that the guy who isnt paying" and she said "yes but im giving him bank details now as I cant be bothered chasing him up"

I thought that was VERY rude.

ReputationRep:
    she sounds really mean! Hopefully it'll work out a lot easier with the bank transfer though.

ReputationRep:
    TBH if I were you, I would have gone for a weekly direct debit from the word go.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.