The Student Room Group

A level: econ or biology?

I am narrowing down my choices and I am already picking maths and geography for the first two a lvl. So now I have to pick either econ or bio as my school only allows me to do 3.

For econ, I haven’t done gcse econ as my school doesn’t offer it but I have a lot of friends who did it at a level themselves
-is it hard to pick up with gcse econ
-do I have to be good at essay writing because I’m not really that good
- do I have to constantly watch the news and stock market to do well
- does econ complement with geography
- is it really as easy as everyone says

For bio, I have done it and I found it quite easy however it only sparked my interest during late year 11 as i got some good grades and the GCSE exam was pretty decent
- how much harder would a level bio be
- are there a lot of key terms to learn and much more in complex
- should I really do it if my ideal uni course or career isn’t about biology (aka using the best grades to get into the course)

Does maths econ geography look better or does maths biology geography look better?

Thank you in advance and I hope these question would benefit others too!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bryantw17
I am narrowing down my choices and I am already picking maths and geography for the first two a lvl. So now I have to pick either econ or bio as my school only allows me to do 3.

For econ, I haven’t done gcse econ as my school doesn’t offer it but I have a lot of friends who did it at a level themselves

For bio, I have done it and I found it quite easy however it only sparked my interest during late year 11 as i got some good grades and the GCSE exam was pretty decent
- should I really do it if my ideal uni course or career isn’t about biology (aka using the best grades to get into the course)

Does maths econ geography look better or does maths biology geography look better?

Hi!! I don't know anything about econ A-level, but I did take bio A level (just finished this year). To answer your questions about bio A-level:
1) It is quite a big step up from GCSE and I know many people that took it because they thought it was the "easy science" and then realised it could be classed as one of the hardest. Firstly, there is a LOT of content (more than some other subjects), which can be overwhelming if you don't keep up with revision. Secondly, the exam is very very hard as there are a lot of difficult application questions. (but grade boundaries are low so as long as you work hard you'll be fine)
2)There are quite a few key terms to learn, but they're not too complicated, so you'll be fine with the key terms (other subjects, such as chem, have many more key terms to learn)
3) When it comes to bio A-level, the most important thing is that you enjoy the subject and are passionate about it- don't just take it because you thought the gcse exam was easy. If you enjoy it, learning and understanding the content will be a lot easier because you'll actually be interested in it and revision won't be something you dread.
Finally, unis don't really care what subjects you take as long as you take the ones they require for that course (eg. if you apply for geography and they say you need AAB with an A in geography specifically, they don't care what other subjects you get the A and B in). Please don't choose subjects at A-level purely because you think they'll "look good" (i chose maths because i thought unis would like it, and turns out they only cared about the grade and not the subject for my 3rd a level subject, and its my biggest a level regret because i didn't like the subject :/ )
As a last note, if you do chose bio, the exam has some maths aspects in it, but only GCSE maths knowledge is required. Also, depending on the exam board you may have to write an essay (ik aqa has an essay question, not sure about other exam boards), but the essay isn't as hard as you might think so dw about that.
Sorry this was so long :biggrin:
Hope it helped!
(edited 1 year ago)

Look better for what?
What do you intend to do with these A levels - career? subject at Uni?

How to Choose Sixth Form Subjects - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects

What are you wanting to do at uni?
Reply 4

my friend did eco and bio and i did bio so ill try my best to answer

-she didn't do eco at gcse and was one of the top of her class
-a lot of students say some questions can be random and based off like recent events so yh kind of be informed
-econ helped my friend with geo (i did geo with her) like in terms of definitions of words, graphs, maths
-yh most eco students in my yr treated it as the subject they would kind of sacrifice when revising since they would prioritise other subjects

also for the combos what degree r u applying for, if the 3rd alevel can be one of ur choice do one ur more likely to enjoy and if u still cant choose, try 1-2 lessons in the first 2 weeks of both if ur school lets and decide. the first lesson for bio does represent what it will be like for the rest of the year in my case.

-got a 9 for gcse bio (did triple), and it's so hard at alevel, like the content isn't hard hard to understand it's how MUCH of it there is and the time management of it and bio teachers set so much more hw to compensate
-yh its more complex but not harder its like ur writing something out and the minmap continues because u know more stuff
-honestly no, the time and effort made me prioritise it so much because even though it wasn't my main subject i still wanted an A in it and i have trauma over it lol pls pray i get an A at results day (i got As during mocks but for the amount of effort it's not worth it especially if it's not required)

Quick Reply

Latest