The Student Room Group

should i choose english language a-level?

i'm starting sixth-form this september and my choices are currently: politics, english language and geography. initially i was happy with my choices but a taster session at the beginning of this month opened my eyes a little bit.

i loved gcse english (i'm aware a-level language is very different) but i'd rather not choose english literature and the taster session we had for language proved to me that it might be more difficult than i expected at first. is it worth switching it now before it's too late, or should i remain on the course?

also - i'm thinking of replacing it with either film or media studies - will either of these stick out too much with my other two choices?
What do you intend to do with these A levels - career? subject at Uni?

How to Choose your 6th Form Subjects - read it all : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects
Original post by willbyersno1fan
i'm starting sixth-form this september and my choices are currently: politics, english language and geography. initially i was happy with my choices but a taster session at the beginning of this month opened my eyes a little bit.

i loved gcse english (i'm aware a-level language is very different) but i'd rather not choose english literature and the taster session we had for language proved to me that it might be more difficult than i expected at first. is it worth switching it now before it's too late, or should i remain on the course?

also - i'm thinking of replacing it with either film or media studies - will either of these stick out too much with my other two choices?

Its not too late to change at all, at a lot of people change subjects during the first 2 weeks of starting year 12 and that’s completely fine
Maybe do some research into these topics and see what you prefer ,
Its really not nice to be stuck in an alevel you dont like when you have to do it for 2 years
And dont worry about your subject choices not fitting together, it keeps your options open when your picking your career
So dont let that deter you
I've studied English Language A-level, and it's essentially an extension of the GCSE version.

What are you wanting to do at uni?
Reply 5
i'd say it depends on what you're planning on doing in university. i just completed my first year of english lang and i'm planning on dropping but that's purely because it's no help to me in my uni applications so i'm swapping subjects. english will help you with you're critical thinking skills, especially with the coursework in A2. however, if you don't think you'll enjoy it, don't do it. my friend did both film and media and he enjoyed it a lot! you typically have at least a few weeks, maybe more, into term to change your subjects so don't feel as though you have to make a decision now :smile:
Don't think any of the three choices (English lang/media/film studies) would be an issue or that there would be much difference between them. If you would prefer one of the other two, go for that :smile:

Heya! Have you thought about what you want to do later in the university? You could begin by looking at the entry requirements of the universities for the course you want and see if eng literature is essential or not for them. I haven't done any eng lit but I had friends who did eng lit and enjoyed it but they found the exams to be hard!

If the university's entry requirements don't need English lit, then there's no problem for you to change your choice :smile: I would recommend sticking to subjects you enjoy as, at the end of the day, you'll be the one doing all the work for it! Have you done a taster for film/media studies? Did you enjoy them more? Think about it! As well as this, if the only reason you didn't like English lit bc it seemed too difficult, you'll have plenty of time to learn about the subject and develop your English lit skills :smile: Your teacher will teach you everything you need to know so don't worry if it seemed impossible during the taster session! I would also recommend watching some review videos on eng lit a-levels on youtube to understand more about it and see if you would really enjoy it!

Hope this helps and good luck!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest