The Student Room Group

ipad or laptop for uni

hey, im going into yr 13 (I do econ, eng lit and history) and im torn between getting an ipad or a macbook which I’d take on to uni where I’m thinking abt studying law or english literature. Any suggestions as to which device is better for university??
Laptop. Typing on a tablet keyboard is miserable for anything longer than a short blog post perhaps, let alone essays.

That said you could use uni library computers if you want a tablet badly but can't afford a laptop to go with it.
I recommend MacBook, it’s more productive than an iPad
Original post by sstorm23
hey, im going into yr 13 (I do econ, eng lit and history) and im torn between getting an ipad or a macbook which I’d take on to uni where I’m thinking abt studying law or english literature. Any suggestions as to which device is better for university??

An ipad is not going to function well with university level coursework.
Even with a laptop you’re going to want a decent external keyboard and mouse if you’re writing/editing essays regularly.
Laptop. Sorry but can’t imagine doing essays on a tablet!

That being said, if you want one that badly, you can get an external keyboard and attach it to your tablet, treating it as a laptop.
I have an iPad and I didn’t use it once throughout my university days. Laptop for sure.
I'd definitely opt for a laptop. Once you're writing 2-3,000 word essays at university, you're going to want a proper keyboard! I also invested in a wireless mouse for mine (using the mousepad gets frustrating after a while), and I bought a separate power bank for emergency charging.

My other tips would be to get something lightweight (so you can carry it to lectures, the library etc), and with a decent battery life and a good quality built-in camera and microphone. I'd also recommend getting a laptop with more than one USB port if you can as that way you can connect multiple additional devices (a wireless mouse, a power bank, a headset for meetings etc.).

I'd also be wary of buying a really expensive laptop, especially if is something you're going to be carrying around to lectures, the library etc. Whilst universities do usually have on-campus security (and are quick to crack down on on-campus thieves), sadly thefts are not unknown. Plus, if you're anything like me, there's going to be a risk of dropping it at some point (another top tip: get a good padded laptop case!). So if you do go for an expensive make/model - or an attractive 'brand' - make sure it's fully insured for use both in your accommodation and out and about.

As a final tip, before buying something with expensive software packages included, check with your university what they offer as most universities now give their students free access to MS Office 365 or similar.

For some professional laptop-buying advice, Which have some good advice for students buying laptops on all budgets (https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/laptops/article/laptops-for-students) and they usually update their site regularly as new makes/models are released. Save the Student have some good guidance as well (https://www.savethestudent.org/shopping/what-to-look-for-in-a-laptop-for-university.html).

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
hey, im going into yr 13 (I do econ, eng lit and history) and im torn between getting an ipad or a macbook which I’d take on to uni where I’m thinking abt studying law or english literature auto clicker. Any suggestions as to which device is better for university??

Higher capacity, quicker functioning, and better multitasking. Using a laptop makes more demanding tasks such as HD graphics and even multi-app usage easy. iPads, on the other hand perform better with more basic tasks. You can use them for tasks such as web browsing, social media, or even music or movie streaming.

Consider getting a laptop. The laptop has many functionalities than iPad, especially when researching or reading because it is easier to switch between tabs. Besides, a laptop is convenient when typing. School entails too much typing work, thus necessitating a laptop computer.
Unanimous vote for laptop, and I 100% agree :wink: :cyber:
I've used an ipad for a levels and honestly I think a laptop would be better especially for uni level work. Make sure you get a laptop that doesn't lag a lot- mine does and its a nightmare doing work on it 😭
Reply 12
I did end up getting a laptop so thanks for all your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending