The Student Room Group

Bristol vet school - applied Science

CONTEXT:
I chose the wrong Alevels in sixth form, upon completion, I am now currently studying a BTEC extended diploma in applied science and my predicted grades are D*D*D/ D*D*D*. I’m also building up work experience in vet practices, farms and kennels atm.
!!🚨QUESTION🚨!!
Have any of you successfully applied to Bristol’s 5 year vet science course using BTEC applied Science?? Or know of anyone who has ?? Bristol state in their entry requirements that they accept the qualifications, however, I’m aware that I will be up again A* alevel students and therefore feel that my qualifications will put me at a disadvantage.

Any help of Advice would be greatly appreciated- thanks !!
Original post by Student735
CONTEXT:
I chose the wrong Alevels in sixth form, upon completion, I am now currently studying a BTEC extended diploma in applied science and my predicted grades are D*D*D/ D*D*D*. I’m also building up work experience in vet practices, farms and kennels atm.
!!🚨QUESTION🚨!!
Have any of you successfully applied to Bristol’s 5 year vet science course using BTEC applied Science?? Or know of anyone who has ?? Bristol state in their entry requirements that they accept the qualifications, however, I’m aware that I will be up again A* alevel students and therefore feel that my qualifications will put me at a disadvantage.

Any help of Advice would be greatly appreciated- thanks !!

Hi Student735,

While I haven’t applied to that course or to Bristol (went to UCLAN), I did do a 90 credit btec in applied medical science and achieved a D*D* (couldn’t complete the second year due to illness). I was instantly accepted at uclan the following April (applied late) to study a foundation year, with no work experience etc.
BTECs are a well received qualification now. You shouldn’t be at a disadvantage at all.

I think if you’re set to receive a full diploma with D*D*D AND work experience in related areas, I think you’ll stand a strong chance against many a level students (who probably haven’t had the chance or been able to do work experience). I would make sure your personal statement shows how passionate you are, mentions your work experience and how this sets you apart from a level students etc, and is really well written/concise. I don’t think you’ll have an issue, be confident in yourself!!! You’ve achieved a lot and are on course to achieve a top grade for a tough BTEC (it is no less difficult than a levels).

Hope this helps!

Good luck and best wishes,

Chelsea 😊
Reply 2
Original post by UCLan Student
Hi Student735,

While I haven’t applied to that course or to Bristol (went to UCLAN), I did do a 90 credit btec in applied medical science and achieved a D*D* (couldn’t complete the second year due to illness). I was instantly accepted at uclan the following April (applied late) to study a foundation year, with no work experience etc.
BTECs are a well received qualification now. You shouldn’t be at a disadvantage at all.

I think if you’re set to receive a full diploma with D*D*D AND work experience in related areas, I think you’ll stand a strong chance against many a level students (who probably haven’t had the chance or been able to do work experience). I would make sure your personal statement shows how passionate you are, mentions your work experience and how this sets you apart from a level students etc, and is really well written/concise. I don’t think you’ll have an issue, be confident in yourself!!! You’ve achieved a lot and are on course to achieve a top grade for a tough BTEC (it is no less difficult than a levels).

Hope this helps!

Good luck and best wishes,

Chelsea 😊

Hi Chelsea, I didn’t even know UCLan did a vet med degree!! This is great news and thank you so much for your help 😊 best wishes with your studies too !!

-Student735
Hi Chelsea, I didn’t even know UCLan did a vet med degree!! This is great news and thank you so much for your help 😊 best wishes with your studies too !!

-Student735

It looks like it's a new vet school due to start accepting students in Sept 2023 :smile:

-Student735

Hey,

I actually did my degree in Biology but we have built a new vet school and do have a degree available for 2023!! Either way, my info and advice still stands, you’ll be fine with those high grades!!

Glad I could help! Thank you - I just graduated and am going to do my pgce in September!

Best wishes,

Chelsea 🤗

Quick Reply

Latest