Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

GapYear - Any suggestions for where to go ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Me and 1 (or possibly 2) friends are taking a gap year 2009/2010. Our budget is around £6000. We want to travel for around 5 to 6 months. I don’t really mind where we go (outside of Europe though) but nightlife/activities available is very important.

I'll be travelling with RealGap for the first two months, which are going to be medically related voluntary work in India / Nepal (using realgap because otherwise finding medically work may be difficult unless it’s pre-booked)

After, we were thinking to go Thailand. Its (supposedly) cheap for things like accommodation/food and there seems to be a good range of activities (Muay Thai )

So that 3 months, costing around £3000 (Nepal/India are £999 each, but include accommodation/food, but not flights, so including flights to all 3, and accommodation/food/activities in Thailand should be around 3k)

Any other suggestions to countries where it’s cheap and fun! (Possibly around South America)

ReputationRep:
    You're planning on spending £3000 over 3 months in Thailand???
    Seriously, where do you think you're going?? I doubt you'd spend that over 3 months in Europe let alone South East Asia. As I guide, I was over there this summer and spent a couple of hundred pounds over 4 months. As in, just over a tenth of your budget max. I wasn't paying for accommodation though for some of it, which is generally about £2/3 a night, so yes, granted I should have spent an extra £600 or so. You're looking at a fiver, tenner max a day over there for food, accommodation then left overs for buying things, transport and going places. Even using £10 a day as your guide, it gives you £300 a month so a more realisitic maximum figure for 3 months is £1000. Plus visas and internal flights.

I would personally stay in the Asia region seeing as you're already there- it will take the best part of a grand out of your budget to fly over to south america and then back to the UK. If you stay in Asia you can get a return flight to somewhere in India such as Delhi for less than £500 but usually even less than this. Your friends can do the same, but a few months later or you can meet them somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    South America, do a Motorcycle Diaries type thing.

ReputationRep:
    My ideal time would be to take in different cultures as cheap and easy as possible. One of my favorite areas is Backpacking through California and then down to mainland Mexico and Baja California. I liked it because it didn't involve a lot of flying and driving. Once I had my fill of the states I just walked across the Border and was in a whole new world in Mexico. It was great. But, just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    To work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    You're planning on spending £3000 over 3 months in Thailand???
    lol, you seem to have not read my whole post !

3000 is for 1 month in india, nepal and thiland, including all flights/accomadation and food !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_examz)
    lol, you seem to have not read my whole post !

3000 is for 1 month in india, nepal and thiland, including all flights/accomadation and food !!!
    Ohh I understood your intial post to be:
    'Our budget is around £6000', as in, £6000 for you, and the same for your friend.
    You are then planning on spending around £3000 in India and Nepal, once you've paid for the flights etc. Didn't say what your friend was doing.
    Thus you have £3000 left to spend on further travelling over the other 3 months, and you're wanting to go to Thailand.

The beauty of the English Language!

But yes, £3000 for all 3 is more realistic than blowing £3000 in Thailand- sorry! But some posters do seem to think they need that much money and do not believe that other parts of the world can be so cheap when compared to the UK, so its better to ask than to assume

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.