The Student Room Group

Double standards and boomer generations

I‘m Hungarian ( female) and grew up in Germany however that means I have two Hungarian boomers in my household and two brothers .
At this point I’m really ****ed off. I clean and cook everyday because my parents want this from me, they even hung up a list in the kitchen ( for everyone) I do my tasks every single ****ing day,cause I don’t wanna upset anyone. My brothers do nothing and I clean after them.
That’s fine for my parents. „They’re boys and need to be protected“
I just hate this generation who things that women have to serve men. It makes me so angry.
I wish I could have proper conversations about abortion and America without my dad saying that America did it well ( it’s so ****ed up)
And I wish they wouldn’t live with this messed up mind set. When I call my grandparents for advice they say I need to suck it up because they’re older and that they have technically more rights than i do.Is there any way to make them change their mind or do I have to wait until I move out here ??
Original post by Anonymous
I wish I could have proper conversations about abortion and America without my dad saying that America did it well ( it’s so ****ed up)
And I wish they wouldn’t live with this messed up mind set.

I'm sorry you're frustrated. I think you'll find that it's actually extremely common to feel this way, mainly because of generational differences in beliefs. When you grow up, you learn how far you agree/disagree with everything you've been taught by your parents, and this can cause a rift. I have gone through this - it's really difficult to hold back your anger when they hold what we believe to be archaic beliefs!

I'd recommend you separate yourself from the 'debate'. It's not your responsibility to argue every political point and it's unhealthy to view yourself as a spokesperson for the younger agenda - you'll just become more and more upset. It might not feel right, and it might feel like you're not educating them, but you have to remember that they are often set in their ways. You cannot single-handedly make them pro-choice and liberal.

Sometimes you just have to step back in order to protect yourself, and just ignore what is happening. It doesn't make you a 'bad' person.
Original post by Anonymous
I‘m Hungarian ( female) and grew up in Germany however that means I have two Hungarian boomers in my household and two brothers .
At this point I’m really ****ed off. I clean and cook everyday because my parents want this from me, they even hung up a list in the kitchen ( for everyone) I do my tasks every single ****ing day,cause I don’t wanna upset anyone. My brothers do nothing and I clean after them.
That’s fine for my parents. „They’re boys and need to be protected“
I just hate this generation who things that women have to serve men. It makes me so angry.
And I wish they wouldn’t live with this messed up mind set. When I call my grandparents for advice they say I need to suck it up because they’re older and that they have technically more rights than i do.Is there any way to make them change their mind or do I have to wait until I move out here ??

You sound so much like me at your age!!

At 16 I was told that "we must spoil our men" by my mother. She told me that now I was 16, I needed to do the meals, all the washing etc for my spoiled brother and father who was always working.

So annoyed was I that I made my brother and rest of the family make a list of all the chores they did. My Mum always had a cleaner twice a week (even when economic times were bad) so she did precisely nothing. If she came in and the place was a mess (thanks to my brother and father) she would burst into tears and run upstairs. My brother did one chore per week and I did the rest. My Dad did nothing. Even after a meal, he would not take his empty plate back to the kitchen, but leave it on his lap for my mother to take away.

I escaped to uni and so with all the practice, was easily able to keep my room clean and tidy. With hard work, I was able to get my own jobs, whereas my brother was procured jobs by my parents, but left whenever the boss criticized him.

Despite your outrage, you are learning to cope, and all this tongue bating may help you deal with difficult bosses etc.

I now have a job where I love working with my customers (yes, some of them complain but I can handle it) and I enjoy warm relations with my colleagues.

All the best, and well done so far. Don't let your boomer relations get you down. Nowadays, firms are looking for young people who are good with technology!
Original post by Oxford Mum
You sound so much like me at your age!!

At 16 I was told that "we must spoil our men" by my mother. She told me that now I was 16, I needed to do the meals, all the washing etc for my spoiled brother and father who was always working.

So annoyed was I that I made my brother and rest of the family make a list of all the chores they did. My Mum always had a cleaner twice a week (even when economic times were bad) so she did precisely nothing. If she came in and the place was a mess (thanks to my brother and father) she would burst into tears and run upstairs. My brother did one chore per week and I did the rest. My Dad did nothing. Even after a meal, he would not take his empty plate back to the kitchen, but leave it on his lap for my mother to take away.

I escaped to uni and so with all the practice, was easily able to keep my room clean and tidy. With hard work, I was able to get my own jobs, whereas my brother was procured jobs by my parents, but left whenever the boss criticized him.

Despite your outrage, you are learning to cope, and all this tongue bating may help you deal with difficult bosses etc.

I now have a job where I love working with my customers (yes, some of them complain but I can handle it) and I enjoy warm relations with my colleagues.

All the best, and well done so far. Don't let your boomer relations get you down. Nowadays, firms are looking for young people who are good with technology!

Thank you for your honest answer :smile: it helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending