The Student Room Group

DSA computer

Hi there,

So I've got DSA funding and a part of it is that they will contribute (although not that much) towards a new computer. However, the computer I've used for sixth form, whilst being over 5 years old, works perfectly fine and I see no reason to change it. I was thinking that instead of paying £200 towards a computer that I wouldn't need / use, I would use the DSA funding towards the cost of an iPad? I'm just wondering if anyone knows if that is possible / if an iPad fulfills the minimum processing requirements needed by the DSA.
Original post by user9.60
Hi there,

So I've got DSA funding and a part of it is that they will contribute (although not that much) towards a new computer. However, the computer I've used for sixth form, whilst being over 5 years old, works perfectly fine and I see no reason to change it. I was thinking that instead of paying £200 towards a computer that I wouldn't need / use, I would use the DSA funding towards the cost of an iPad? I'm just wondering if anyone knows if that is possible / if an iPad fulfills the minimum processing requirements needed by the DSA.

This is a question you need to ask your needs assessor. :yep:

The first £200 is what you would need to pay, DSA would cover the rest. So it's not £200 from DSA unless the device costs exactly £400.

What course are you studying? :smile:
Hi there,

hey @user9.60
Really depends on the course you're doing. For a more technological or even a course which requires you to spend a lot of time writing essays, I'd suggest you do get a new laptop if the DSA funding will cover the entire cost of a new one.
If you think you won't have enough use of a computer then an ipad would be enough i believe.

Hope that slightly helps
Vyomika
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
hey @user9.60
Really depends on the course you're doing. For a more technological or even a course which requires you to spend a lot of time writing essays, I'd suggest you do get a new laptop if the DSA funding will cover the entire cost of a new one.
If you think you won't have enough use of a computer then an ipad would be enough i believe.

Hope that slightly helps
Vyomika

Yep, so for info DSA won't do this - their website makes clear that they will fund the cost if the student pays the first £200. Recognising that a laptop would be used for more than just essential university work. The student's needs assessment report should recommend a specific device too.
Hi there,

You d have to check with a needs assessor but a fair few softwares need something with greater processing capability, personally I d either go with more lightweight up to date laptop that could last longer or hold off and use the general allowance for a new laptop if something goes wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest