Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    didnt know where to put this thread...

is westminster uni any good for law?
    i know i have a whole year to decide yet.. and i doubt il get 3 a's which is what most of the other uni's iv looked at require...

ReputationRep:
    hey...im surprised youre not aiming for top grades considering the GCSE's you got. anyway, Westminster isnt too bad for law...i just started there this year, but tbh i think you should aim to get into Queen Mary, u'll get in with ABB after you get your results and a good personal statement...cuz law is really competitive and you'd rather do it at the best uni you can get into...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewvicEastLondon)
    hey...im surprised youre not aiming for top grades considering the GCSE's you got. anyway, Westminster isnt too bad for law...i just started there this year, but tbh i think you should aim to get into Queen Mary, u'll get in with ABB after you get your results and a good personal statement...cuz law is really competitive and you'd rather do it at the best uni you can get into...
    im sure queen mary's is AAA? and plus i dont think they take subjects like Art as an a-level unless its combined with something else etc.

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be to avoid Westminster University,

Its one of the worst universities in the country and whilst you wouldn't be able to push for Oxbridge, I can see you going for a MUCH better uni than Westminster.

I went to visit it and I really didn't like it, and also its very low in the uni lists.

You could apply for unis like city or sussex or edinburgh, their requirements aren't that high yet their very good for law.

Be sure to get your PS perfect though as law is unbelievable competitive.

Good luck with your applications

ReputationRep:
    Hey - I can't recommend highly enough how you have to visit prospective universities before you even consider them. The amount of people who just put a place down, turn up without knowing anything about the place is shocking - then they realise they hate where they've ended up is silly.

So while you have the chance and time, make some time to visit a few prospective universities; e-mail admissions and ask questions try and see if you can turn up during times when they don't have an official open day and you'll probably get more of a realistic feel for how the place is normally. Don't forget to ask students wandering around or staff members if you can ask a few questions about the place, what they think etc.

As for Westminster and it's Law department, it has a pretty strong law department for research - Cherie Booth/Blair taught there once - I think the Law department has its own building on Little Titchfield street in Central London, not far from the other main buildings of Regent Street, New Cavendish Street and Marylebone; see if you can pop in to look around and see what you think.

These links have more info on Westminster as a whole, but do your own research and take everything said to you about University league tables with a pinch of salt; they are private league tables and obviously the older more "selective" universities who don't take part in widening participation will obviously do better in these (though when I say “older” I mean when an institution changed its name to “university” – Westminster is technically over 160 years old, maybe a bit older – as you’ll see if you visit its historic Regent street headquarters)

It is a good institution, but the most important thing is liking the feel for the place where you are going to study for three years - finding out what they can offer you in terms of benefits and student resources (for example Westminster has now teamed up with Google to offer a more powerful e-mail system and working Google apps etc.) - I know Westminster has the largest scholarship system in the whole of the UK so I think someone who achieves high grades for entry won't have to worry about the student loan fees if they are successful with their application - look at things like this.

Also if you are social and want to get involved, look at their respective student union and find out what they do - you can find these things out by asking and seeing what you can find on each university website. I know Westminster has an award winning radio station which can be listened to on-line at:

http://www.smokeradio.co.uk/

www.uwsu.com

Here are some more links you can have a look at concerning Westminster and its law department in particular – also a link concerning university league tables and questioning if they are necessarily a good thing; they certainly aren’t objective.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=336713

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...03#post8631603

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...feed=education

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/ec...etablespmm.pdf

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3924417.ece

All I can say is good luck with everything and well done for thinking about all of this very early on – I’m sure you’ll end up somewhere brilliant and do very well, keep it up.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.