Turn on thread page Beta

Local Students - Why Do Uni's favour them so much? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have heard stories about Uni's doing anything they can (within reason) to attract local students and get them onto courses.

My local is a fairly decent Red Brick (ok it's not Durham but Hull is still very credible) and they seem to go hell for leather to get students from Hull into the university.

Why is this? Are they given some grant per local student? Are local students less likley to quit as they do not have to do the whole relocation and adjustment to a new town / city thing?

I know that alot of it can be a supply / demand scenario but I have heard stories about people who have missied the entry requirements by quite abit and still managed to get in to do decent courses that had high entry requirements.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    I have heard stories about Uni's doing anything they can (within reason) to attract local students and get them onto courses.

My local is a fairly decent Red Brick (ok it's not Durham but Hull is still very credible) and they seem to go hell for leather to get students from Hull into the university.

Why is this? Are they given some grant per local student? Are local students less likley to quit as they do not have to do the whole relocation and adjustment to a new town / city thing?

I know that alot of it can be a supply / demand scenario but I have heard stories about people who have missied the entry requirements by quite abit and still managed to get in to do decent courses that had high entry requirements.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
    in the case of hull, the immediate population(goole etc) is generally the low-income, working class. the general financial, demographic and violent imbalance of the city between the better off students from the south and the locals is the reason that local hull students are encouraged to join. and also for their reluctance.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Stats about Hull (hope that link works).

Specifically of interest:

Resident population aged 16 to 74 (percentage)
    Hull (England and Wales)
    Had no qualifications: 41.2 (29.1 )
    Qualified to degree level or higher: 9.9 (19.8)

10% of hull residents are likely to have a degree compared to 20% nationwide. This means that Hull is likely to contain a substantial number of "Low-Participation Neighbourhoods" postcodes where people are unlikely to even apply to uni. Each student from one of these postcodes (incidentally uni's aren't told which postcodes/students they are so it's technically blind recruitment) attracts an extra 5% of funding from HEFCE (the people who pay uni's their teaching grant) and will soon attract an extra 30% of funding. The grant arrives in a block sum without a breakdown which is why it's hard to spot which students the funding is for but Hull have obviously realised that it's in their (and Hull as a city) best interest to attract more locals from these areas onto their courses. Especially when you cansider that Hull has been sliding down the national league tables for a few yrs and is finding it harder to recruit from outside the region.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Stats about Hull (hope that link works).

Specifically of interest:

Resident population aged 16 to 74 (percentage)
    Hull (England and Wales)
    Had no qualifications: 41.2 (29.1 )
    Qualified to degree level or higher: 9.9 (19.8)

10% of hull residents are likely to have a degree compared to 20% nationwide. This means that Hull is likely to contain a substantial number of "Low-Participation Neighbourhoods" postcodes where people are unlikely to even apply to uni. Each student from one of these postcodes (incidentally uni's aren't told which postcodes/students they are so it's technically blind recruitment) attracts an extra 5% of funding from HEFCE (the people who pay uni's their teaching grant) and will soon attract an extra 30% of funding. The grant arrives in a block sum without a breakdown which is why it's hard to spot which students the funding is for but Hull have obviously realised that it's in their (and Hull as a city) best interest to attract more locals from these areas onto their courses. Especially when you cansider that Hull has been sliding down the national league tables for a few yrs and is finding it harder to recruit from outside the region.
    hull is typical of universities offering a wide selection of courses in an attempt to attract as many students as possible. unfortunately, its league position doesnt show the fact that for a number of courses it should be substantially higher, and in fact illustrates that the reputation of the university is undermined by departments that shouldnt even exist.

Maybe the staff can relate to them better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    hull is typical of universities offering a wide selection of courses in an attempt to attract as many students as possible. unfortunately, its league position doesnt show the fact that for a number of courses it should be substantially higher, and in fact illustrates that the reputation of the university is undermined by departments that shouldnt even exist.
    Hmmm...I have heard that some of the departments are not too good at Hull Uni whilst others are very credible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Hmmm...I have heard that some of the departments are not too good at Hull Uni whilst others are very credible.
    thats generally the problem i have with league tables. league tables by department are more reflective of your degree. from what i know hull has got quite a good engineering department, dance and history, but the Comp. Sci is average.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2003
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.