Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    im a prospective student and i would really like to know everything that is wrong about nottingham university. Please reply honestly.
    Every university does have some negative aspects. Its good to know.
    Thanks
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    'Everything that is wrong' can be a bit different for many people!!

ReputationRep:
    Well, what are you thinking of studying? Different departments have different issues...

Overall, there's quite a few hills on campus, so you might get calf ache if you're not from somewhere hilly

ReputationRep:
    there are dark sides of every uni

ReputationRep:
    im applying for finance,accounting and management degree and its a definite decision.
    but i would really like to hear about some -ve aspects of the university in general and particularly the b-school.
    Doesnt matter whether this varies from point of views. It's always good to get an idea. I cant come for open days and im an international student.

ReputationRep:
    The computers at jubilee don't have an option where you can 'log-off' and can only 'restart' or 'shut-down', which can be annoying..

I queried this with the technicians on b floor in the north building and they said its done to make sure that computers are given a fresh start before it's used...

ReputationRep:
    oh good to know =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    The computers at jubilee don't have an option where you can 'log-off' and can only 'restart' or 'shut-down', which can be annoying..

I queried this with the technicians on b floor in the north building and they said its done to make sure that computers are given a fresh start before it's used...
    Which ones? The Business School's ones? I was in the library on Jubilee earlier, and had a few computer-related issues... namely, the first computer I tried was stuck on a screen asking me which operating system I wanted to boot into, then ignored whatever I clicked, the next one I tried wasn't switched on, and once it had booted up I noticed had no mouse, the next one had a dodgy screen and when I tried to open Acrobat Reader in order to print off a few pages of a PDF decided to crash, and finally the fourth one worked alright... I remember when all those PCs were new(ish) and seemed pretty good... all a bit ***** now!

I was only in there because there was an exam going on in the main Computer Science lab - their computers are much more reliable and a lot less seem to be broken...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psl89)
    im applying for finance,accounting and management degree and its a definite decision.
    but i would really like to hear about some -ve aspects of the university in general and particularly the b-school.
    Doesnt matter whether this varies from point of views. It's always good to get an idea. I cant come for open days and im an international student.
    The Business School(s) are great, there's a North building and a South Building, the South Building has a giant lecture theatre in which is ideal for when you want to sleep un-noticed (Joke)

Next to the North Building and on the top floor of the South building, there are cafés serving paninis and baguettes every day, and you can spend just under £5 on anything you want at lunch for free on your meal card, ideal for stocking up on crisps and cakes for when you want to snack in your room!

Then there's the Djanogly Learning Resource Centre which sits in the middle of the lake, where you can use the library until 9:30 each night, but the top floor where all the computers are is left open 24-hours a day for last minute coursework and research. The Business school library on he top floor of the South building is also open until 9:45, so no problems there if you've had a busy day.

As far as I know they don't breathe down your neck about missing a couple of tutorials/lectures - i've missed a few due to illness and I havent been condemned for it, the tutors/lecturers are pretty reasonable!

If you decided to live on jubilee Campus, in Newark or Southwell you will be:

- 1 minute away from the bar
    - 2 minutes away from the Atrium for food
    - 3 minutes away from the North Building
    - 3 minutes away from the South building

There are a lot of international students, I've met someone from pretty much every country I've ever heard of, so you won't be on your own.

There are computer rooms everywhere, the shutting down thing isn't a major problem, but it'll take you about 30 secs longer to log on - if that's a deciding factor then you're way too picky lol

There is a bus every 15 minutes to the main campus, it takes about 7 minutes by bus or there is a straight-line walk that takes about 20 mins to get to the Portland building/SU Bar, and that's about halfway through the campus.

Next to the Business North Building, there is a student Union shop full of sweets, chocolates, and most of the essentials.

Lots of Business and Finance academic journal articles are accessible from your laptop online so you don't even have to leave your room to go to the library if it's cold/raining/too late.

I'm honestly struggling to think of any negatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex-hs)
    Which ones? The Business School's ones? I was in the library on Jubilee earlier, and had a few computer-related issues... namely, the first computer I tried was stuck on a screen asking me which operating system I wanted to boot into, then ignored whatever I clicked, the next one I tried wasn't switched on, and once it had booted up I noticed had no mouse, the next one had a dodgy screen and when I tried to open Acrobat Reader in order to print off a few pages of a PDF decided to crash, and finally the fourth one worked alright... I remember when all those PCs were new(ish) and seemed pretty good... all a bit ***** now!

I was only in there because there was an exam going on in the main Computer Science lab - their computers are much more reliable and a lot less seem to be broken...
    All the computers in both Business North and Business South as well as the Business Library and Djanogly..

Yeah I had a few problems today and one of them happened in the MA/MSc Resource Room in North where upon logging in I was told that I wasn't an Ma/MSc student and will be logged out automatically! wtf?! Upon calling the technician he didn't have a clue about what the problem was! He then tried messing with some settings and noticed that there was a problem on the network (as usual) and upon switching to another computer the problem was solved.

I also spent a good few minutes walking up the Djanogly library trying to find a spare machine but without much luck so that wasted a good 5 minutes.. Found a machine in the business library but as you mentioned it was stuck on the screen with XP and Vista Icons (Login/Refresh) which didn't do anything after clicking on each icon.

Where did you go to find the computers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    The Business School(s) are great, there's a North building and a South Building, the South Building has a giant lecture theatre in which is ideal for when you want to sleep un-noticed (Joke)

Next to the North Building and on the top floor of the South building, there are cafés serving paninis and baguettes every day, and you can spend just under £5 on anything you want at lunch for free on your meal card, ideal for stocking up on crisps and cakes for when you want to snack in your room!

Then there's the Djanogly Learning Resource Centre which sits in the middle of the lake, where you can use the library until 9:30 each night, but the top floor where all the computers are is left open 24-hours a day for last minute coursework and research. The Business school library on he top floor of the South building is also open until 9:45, so no problems there if you've had a busy day.

As far as I know they don't breathe down your neck about missing a couple of tutorials/lectures - i've missed a few due to illness and I havent been condemned for it, the tutors/lecturers are pretty reasonable!

If you decided to live on jubilee Campus, in Newark or Southwell you will be:

- 1 minute away from the bar
    - 2 minutes away from the Atrium for food
    - 3 minutes away from the North Building
    - 3 minutes away from the South building

There are a lot of international students, I've met someone from pretty much every country I've ever heard of, so you won't be on your own.

There are computer rooms everywhere, the shutting down thing isn't a major problem, but it'll take you about 30 secs longer to log on - if that's a deciding factor then you're way too picky lol

There is a bus every 15 minutes to the main campus, it takes about 7 minutes by bus or there is a straight-line walk that takes about 20 mins to get to the Portland building/SU Bar, and that's about halfway through the campus.

Next to the Business North Building, there is a student Union shop full of sweets, chocolates, and most of the essentials.

Lots of Business and Finance academic journal articles are accessible from your laptop online so you don't even have to leave your room to go to the library if it's cold/raining/too late.

I'm honestly struggling to think of any negatives.
    Meal card?! is it free? how do I get one? I currently live on Raleigh Park!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    Meal card?! is it free? how do I get one? I currently live on Raleigh Park!
    Lol no, it's included in your fees when you live on campus - Jubilee meal cards only work in cafés on Jubilee and people living in uni park accom can only use their cards in cafés on uni park.

Raleigh park/BGP/St Peters Court are all scum They can buy their own bloody meals :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Lol no, it's included in your fees when you live on campus - Jubilee meal cards only work in cafés on Jubilee and people living in uni park accom can only use their cards in cafés on uni park.

Raleigh park/BGP/St Peters Court are all scum They can buy their own bloody meals :rofl:
    ^^^^ Another negative thing about Nottingham Uni!!!
    The fact that we have to pay for meals whilst folks living on campus get meals for free!!! :mad:

the meals can be quite expensive especially when you're an MA student and have to buy breakfast and lunch on a single day! today i spent about £3 for a sandwich and a drink from the shop inside/next to exchange and then £4 for lunch in the canteen! but then again this is only once every few weeks..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I mean of course it isn't free free, you do have to pay for it in fees, but the student loan takes care of that so might as well have the food and live on campus, that way you have more money left for boozing and going out and don't have to worry about paying it back until you've got enough money to The food isn't amazing in the Atrium most of the time, but the Chicken curry earlier was fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    Nice

Looks only +ve aspects in your reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psl89)
    I guess one negative aspect of having all your lectures in Jubilee is that you'll hardly be on the main Uni Park campus and it's a fair distance to walk from Jubilee too.

Pfft. BGP was so good when I was there last year! Cooking and eating when I want is so much better than having to eat at set periods. Besides, it's a well known fact that food in Nottingham Uni's catered halls is horrible - especially dinners.

Also, if you're living in catered accommodation, you have to move everything out of your room during the holidays, unlike with self-catered halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)

Also, if you're living in catered accommodation, you have to move everything out of your room during the holidays, unlike with self-catered halls.
    that's a bit negative :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psl89)
    that's a bit negative :O
    Yes, I haven't experienced that yet as I've only been here since the start of the semester (about 7 weeks) - I'm not looking forward to moving everything out but in reality I hardly have a lot of stuff, and keep things pretty tidy anyway cos I do a big clean every week or so lol, and I think it'd be good to make a 'fresh start' in my room each semester, it'll give me chance to rearrange things and clean stuff that I would usually never get round to doing... :yep:

(Original post by geoff_yin)
    I guess one negative aspect of having all your lectures in Jubilee is that you'll hardly be on the main Uni Park campus and it's a fair distance to walk from Jubilee too.
    Yeah, I mean I go to Uni Park about 6 times a week for french, but it's never a problem... the bus goes to the most popular places on Uni Park which are all within 5 mins walking distance of my lectures/tutorials so I've never really needed to walk, although I have done on occasion because it's good exercise The only time when it;s a problem is if you're going to Mooch (SU Bar) or the club next to it and are planning on staying out after midnight, i think the last hopper bus to Jubilee is 23:55 so you have to get a taxi back - it costs about 3/4 quid but you usually go with mates so it costs about 50p each

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound random but i got a chuckle out of when someone here just described some food as fantastic. Dunno why though, i was thinking of someone just finishing their food and then having a revelation "Oh my god, that was fantastic!!!".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multiplexed)
    This is going to sound random but i got a chuckle out of when someone here just described some food as fantastic. Dunno why though, i was thinking of someone just finishing their food and then having a revelation "Oh my god, that was fantastic!!!".
    Lol I did that yesterday - the chicken curry was really fantastic compared to the usual crap stuck-together pasta, so I made a point of asking everybody if they thought it was fantastic too, and they all agreed - so there :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.