Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    To be fair, all the stuff you guys have mentioned aren't really negative or specific to this uni are there?

crap food - all catered halls in all unis except maybe oxford & cambridge (i imagine they have fantastic food) have crap food. when you're cooking for too many people on a limited budget, the food isn't going to be great. meal cards aren't that great either, and they're included in the fees so it's not a negative.

moving out of halls - again, happens to every student who decides to live in halls.

computers breaking down - just bad IT technicians not caring/wanting to do their jobs. again, happens at all unis.

campuses being far away - again not specific to this uni. plus if you get a bus, it'll only be a max of 15mins away, not something to complain about.

I think ANZWC was subtly referring to crime in Nottingham. That's a whole other arguement, but to be fair, the student areas are safe. If you act safe and aren't stupid, you won't get your stuff nicked.

now, let's just pray michael owen doesn't find this thread... :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Michael Owen? I don't follow..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Trampa)
    moving out of halls - again, happens to every student who decides to live in halls.
    I live at Raleigh Park but I don't have to move any of my things out during the holidays...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    I live at Raleigh Park but I don't have to move any of my things out during the holidays...
    Yes but that's privately run off-campus, the on-campus halls of pretty much every uni only have 31/32/33-week contracts, so you could get the same problem at any uni, e.g. Lancaster.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    rahleigh is self catered,different rules for you guys. same as broadgate.
    and yes it's owned by derwent or whichever company it is.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    Michael Owen? I don't follow..
    michael owen is the user that starts the thread about crime in notts. the two threads in the main nottingham unis section.

ReputationRep:
    Aaaaah. I was wondering why a footballer would worry about crime when he plays in Newcastle of all places... :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    The 'SNS' internet access is slow and unreliable in Halls/BGP when everybody is trying to use it at once
    The grass behind Portland is slippery when wet...Trust me, it really is
    Londis on BGP sometimes runs out of milk by 10:00pm

That's about the worst of it tbh :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin-jesusfreak)
    It got you too? :rofl:

I'm sticking to the pavement from now on instead of trying time-saving shortcuts in the rain, I slid into a *insert collective noun here* of Canada Geese and they started to peck me! I think i disrupted mealtime, all those things ever do is eat grass!

ReputationRep:
    ohhhh, internet is slowwww ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psl89)
    ohhhh, internet is slowwww ?
    So far this year, yes. Apparently it's worse than previous years because they have changed the system. I'm still hoping that it will improve. It's only really a problem around 6-11 in the evening, still kinda annoying though.
    Also, not that I have tried ,:ninja: but filesharing applications are pretty much unusable too

ReputationRep:
    Internet was really fast when I was at BGP last year...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The internet's picked up a little since the beginning of term but not as fast as the last 2 years. since they got even more stricter with what we can and can't do on the network, it's gotten a lot slower than last year.
    Although again you'll find that all unis restrict the use of fileshare sites and programmes because it's illegal.
    Londis are crap and are only trying to rip off the students. I suspect if any other company was there, they'd do the same thing. Londis, is a plus though because it means you don't have to walk to beeston for little things. Also to my knowledge there's a little shop as well that sells stuff near the west entrance, it's better than Londis.

ReputationRep:
    My internet has been pretty fast, they must hate you guys in BGP Martin!

ReputationRep:
    for downloading,i guess its not a problem since it's similar everywhere,ie blocking ports for p2p software etc.
    but is the connection fast enough for video streaming? like watching the news live

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin-jesusfreak)
    Yep, take heed to this advice. I used to laugh at people who fell down, witnessed it many a time but then happened to me and it wasn't so funny. Never used that way again.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yeh it's fast enough for streaming and watching, even for downloading stuff, it just has it's slow moments.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I really have a problem with is the tutors on my course (PhD students who teach tutorials/seminars/whatever you want to call them). Maybe I've been unlucky but the four I have are all pretty useless at teaching which is annoying as tutorials are in theory a great idea. This might also be specific to economics, not too sure really.

Yeah, the internet in halls isn't great, and it's hard to watch streaming video like iPlayer in the evenings, but it's generally faster than what I had at home, so I can't complain.

Lol @ the slippery Portland grass comment! One of my mates, whilst drunk, fell over on that and slid like half of the way down, it was hilarious! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markdr)
    The only thing I really have a problem with is the tutors on my course (PhD students who teach tutorials/seminars/whatever you want to call them). Maybe I've been unlucky but the four I have are all pretty useless at teaching which is annoying as tutorials are in theory a great idea. This might also be specific to economics, not too sure really.

Yeah, the internet in halls isn't great, and it's hard to watch streaming video like iPlayer in the evenings, but it's generally faster than what I had at home, so I can't complain.

Lol @ the slippery Portland grass comment! One of my mates, whilst drunk, fell over on that and slid like half of the way down, it was hilarious! :p:
    Yeah some of my tutors for my Economics tutorials weren't very good. You'll just have to stick it out and see them outside of the tutorials for them to help you a little more.

ReputationRep:
    My tutors have been my lecturers...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.