The Student Room Group

Percentages of Oxbridge students accepted from Private Schools

https://thetab.com/uk/2019/09/24/revealed-the-private-schools-which-get-the-most-kids-into-oxbridge-126445

Even though Oxford and Cambridge are supposed to decrease the number of offers made to Private school applicants, they still accept a huge number from a handful of Private schools?! :s-smilie:

See the full list in the PDF file attached below.
Does anyone go to any of the schools or colleges on the list?
The numbers are improving though, year-on-year! It's going slower than I'd like but at least it's firmly on the way up :yep:

Do you have any particular purpose for starting this thread, or any particular anxieties about this that us current students/alumna can help address? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by thegeek888

https://thetab.com/uk/2019/09/24/revealed-the-private-schools-which-get-the-most-kids-into-oxbridge-126445

Even though Oxford and Cambridge are supposed to decrease the number of offers made to Private school applicants, they still accept a huge number from a handful of Private schools?! :s-smilie:

This data doesn't say how many private school students got into Oxford, just their success rates as far as I can tell. The actual figures are given in annually released statistics.

PS Indeed as 24.3K students applied for 3.3K places recently, some of the schools you list are performing about average.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
The numbers are improving though, year-on-year! It's going slower than I'd like but at least it's firmly on the way up :yep:

Do you have any particular purpose for starting this thread, or any particular anxieties about this that us current students/alumna can help address? :smile:

I will decide whether I apply to Oxford or Cambridge, after attending Open Days at both universities. But currently I am inclined to Trinity College, Cambridge University for Law.
I will decide whether I apply to Oxford or Cambridge, after attending Open Days at both universities. But currently I am inclined to Trinity College, Cambridge University for Law.

Cool, try and go into both open days with an open mind and don't let the stats re: private schools throw you if you're from a state school :nah:
Also bear in mind that students from Brampton School in London have had more successful applicants than Eton in recent years :colone:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Also bear in mind that students from Brampton School in London have had more successful applicants than Eton in recent years :colone:

Wow...Brampton Manor Academy have so many A*A*A* successes for Oxbridge. There are also 3 pupils going to study Economics at Cambridge University?! :smile: lol Most of them are Asian or Black too, so they're widening participation for ethnic minorities.

https://www.bramptonmanor.org/Information/Prospectus/

This has encouraged me to apply to Cambridge University for Law more than Oxford University as my GCSEs won't matter as much for Cambridge University. I am expecting at least A*A*A*+ in Maths, Further Maths and German and maybe Spanish too. :wink:

The City of London School's figure for 2021 was 17%, not 32%. Doesn't give me much confidence in the rest of their numbers.
Reply 9
Are these percentages representing offers or enrolments?
Personally with all the noise that's made I'm surprised by how low a lot of these figures are. These people would have presumably had intensive interview prep, mock admissions tests, and so on, yet some of these percentages don't creep much above the overall offer rate.

Also maybe %age isn't a good indicator alone if the sample size is low, my school also had a 50% offer rate for Oxbridge but that was 3 offers to 6 applications, and I think only one person got an offer the following year. (usually the number is 0 or 1. Was 0 for a lot of consecutive years I was there) Probably not relevant for these schools but if you take a typical school you'll probably have this problem.
(edited 1 year ago)
Don't we also have to take into account that many (perhaps all) of the schools in this list are highly selective?

So the students attending these schools are not average students (well, they weren't when they were tested at age 10/11). So we wouldn't expect their progression to highly selective universities to be average. We'd expect a higher proportion (than average) of students at these schools to gain entry to Oxbridge - even ignoring things like mock admission tests, interview prep etc.
Original post by DataVenia
Don't we also have to take into account that many (perhaps all) of the schools in this list are highly selective?

So the students attending these schools are not average students (well, they weren't when they were tested at age 10/11). So we wouldn't expect their progression to highly selective universities to be average. We'd expect a higher proportion (than average) of students at these schools to gain entry to Oxbridge - even ignoring things like mock admission tests, interview prep etc.

Yes, I think people tend to miss the fact out and tend to prefer "itS becAuSE itS a priVaTe schOOl" - almost all of the schools at the top of list run an incredibly selective admissions process which rejects the majority of applicants which would most likely have gotten in anyways.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending