The Student Room Group

BPS accreditation child psychology in UK

why does most masters course in child/ developmental psychology NOT BPS accredited?
does anyone know any BPS accredited masters courses in in this area or related area?
The BPS does not accredit "child psychology" courses because there is no such professional role in the UK.

The BPS does not accredit most Masters degrees because it accredits UG degrees which give you the GBC. The exceptions are psychology conversion Masters (if your first degree is not in psychology), and a few others like the society's Masters qualification in forensic psychology.

This is all explained on the BPS website.
(edited 1 year ago)
Most masters aren't accredited because they expect people to do them after an accredited undergrad degree to pursue an area of interest. A conversion course needs to cover a more broad range of topics to meet the BPS requirements for accreditation

According to the BPS website there are three developmental psych accredited courses and a few more psych in education ones
(edited 1 year ago)
Ohh okie that makes sense now
Thank you everyone.
Most psychology courses are not accredited from child psychology, to addiction psychology, to social psychology and general psychology. Because they make a lot of money for the university, that’s why so many universities offer unaccredited courses. It’s disgraceful really but nothing is likely to be done.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by JamesManc
Most psychology courses are not accredited from child psychology, to addiction psychology, to social psychology and general psychology. Because they make a lot of money for the university, that’s why so many universities offer unaccredited courses. It’s disgraceful really but nothing is likely to be done.

What are you talking about? Most UG psychology courses are BPS accredited. Most Masters are not because that would be redundant. The exception is conversion courses as mentioned.
I didn’t talk about undergraduate psychology, I talked about psychology courses and most are unaccredited.

Original post by chazwomaq
What are you talking about? Most UG psychology courses are BPS accredited. Most Masters are not because that would be redundant. The exception is conversion courses as mentioned.
(edited 1 year ago)
And why would it be redundant to give people a masters qualification that means something in real life.

(edited 1 year ago)
And why would it be redundant to give people a masters qualification that means something in real life.

You need the GBC (as the starting point) to become a professional psychologist. You either get this from your UG degree, or a conversion course at Masters level. Therefore there is no need for other Masters courses to be accredited by the BPS. These will tend to be focused on one particular area of psychology rather than giving the broad knowledge needed for GBC.
I didn’t talk about undergraduate psychology, I talked about psychology courses and most are unaccredited.

What courses?
You need the GBC (as the starting point) to become a professional psychologist. You either get this from your UG degree, or a conversion course at Masters level. Therefore there is no need for other Masters courses to be accredited by the BPS. These will tend to be focused on one particular area of psychology rather than giving the broad knowledge needed for GBC.

Listen lady, I have GBC and I don’t want to talk to you any more so stop replying.
Listen lady, I have GBC and I don’t want to talk to you any more so stop replying.

I also get butthurt when I'm proved wrong on the internet.
Reply 12

You need to get a grip on the aggression - no place for that here

Quick Reply

Latest