Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi, im not really sure if this should go in this sub-forum but o well,
    i was just wondering if people could tell me like what is an:
    BA Hons (whats the difference between this and above)

    and like which ones best qualification to have

    MA = Master of the arts
    BA = Bachelor of the arts
    BA Hons = Bachelor of the arts with honours
    BSc = Bachelor of the sciences

    Those names might not be exact, but give a rough idea. MA is higher than a BA and usually achieved via post-graduate study. Generally speaking a BA would be for an arts course, like English, and a BSc for a science such as Chemistry (although some subjects, like Management, have BA and BSc courses - as you could perhaps guess, BSc courses would typically be more science-based and mathematical).

    I'm not sure about this bit and may be wrong, but I think a BA Hons is when you don't just pass, for example you get a First, 2:1, 2:2 or Third. Below that is a BA.
    • Wiki Support Team

    Wiki Support Team
    The difference between BA and BSc is that, very loosely speaking, the former is an "arts" degree and the latter is a "sciences" degree. Some universities offer BA Geography, and some offer BSc Geography - this might indicate that the latter is more sciencey and the former is more artsy, but the distinction isn't universal. In fact, in various older universities, all undergraduate degrees are BAs, not because their content is artsy, just because of tradition. Similarly between MA and MSc. The difference between MA and BA (or MSc and BSc) is typically that the former requires an extra year of study (though again, older universities sometimes just give out MAs after 21 terms from matriculation without needing 21 terms of study).
    • Thread Starter

    K cheers, that helped

    However if you are talking about the Scottish system, an MA is the award you get after doing an undergraduate arts degree. Aaand anything without (Hons) after it often implies it's a designated degree which means you only complete three years of study instead of four and don't have the same form of assessment as Honours students.

University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.