The Student Room Group

How much choice should students have over their subjects?

Many schools (in England and Wales certainly) operate a system whereby lessons are fixed and compulsory throughout primary school and Key Stage 3. Then they have a limited choice of subjects to study at GCSE Level, with a much freer choice in KS5 (sixth form/college).

By the time a person reaches 18, they have a plethora of options in front of them. Apprenticeships, employment, university, travelling, other opportunities.

Do you think our schooling system should encourage pupils to make choices about their curriculum at different points?

Should young people learn how to make decisions and be encouraged to try new things?

Or would this idea (if workable at all) mean they will miss out on something essential that would no longer be compulsory to them?

What was your experience like at school and what would you prefer to see schools doing?

More curriculum conversations like this

(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 04MR17

Many schools (in England and Wales certainly) operate a system whereby lessons are fixed and compulsory throughout primary school and Key Stage 3. Then they have a limited choice of subjects to study at GCSE Level, with a much freer choice in KS5 (sixth form/college).

By the time a person reaches 18, they have a plethora of options in front of them. Apprenticeships, employment, university, travelling, other opportunities.

Do you think our schooling system should encourage pupils to make choices about their curriculum at different points?

Should young people learn how to make decisions and be encouraged to try new things?

Or would this idea (if workable at all) mean they will miss out on something essential that would no longer be compulsory to them?

What was your experience like at school and what would you prefer to see schools doing?

More curriculum conversations like this

I think when I was in secondary school I had no idea what I wanted to do, but had a better idea when I was 16, so it was good that there are more general subjects in secondary and the college you get more choices.
To be honest, if I had complete freedom at 14 to choose all my subjects I would have opted out of maths, so I'm happy I had to do it to be fair. :smile:
But I like the idea of encouraging more people to do apprenticeships and I think schools should give more support for students to get into those, because my school just pressured everyone into college.
I think that students should have more freedom and flexibility.
Starting at y5 of primary school and then y7, y9 and y12 of secondary.

Uni is over emphasized by so many uk located schools and colleges.
Apprenticeships, business startup, freelancing and household domestic service should also be offered as alternative options to nearly all healthy uk citizen students at an early stage.
So many young people in Britain born since 1998 are not aware that they have a variety of alternative options to uni & student debt that do not include fast food/waitressing, marriage or welfare dependency.
Primary school pupils Y4 and above could start to explore their interests and be able to choose between classes like Music and Languages, instead of just doing them in after-school clubs.
Original post by Wonderland2000
I think when I was in secondary school I had no idea what I wanted to do, but had a better idea when I was 16, so it was good that there are more general subjects in secondary and the college you get more choices.
To be honest, if I had complete freedom at 14 to choose all my subjects I would have opted out of maths, so I'm happy I had to do it to be fair. :smile:
But I like the idea of encouraging more people to do apprenticeships and I think schools should give more support for students to get into those, because my school just pressured everyone into college.

Yes i agree with this.
At my school we were told about 6th form quite a bit (our school had a 6th form) and a bit about college. But nothing about anything else. Even college wise- we were told about the nearest college, not any others around.
And dont get me started on 6th form. When i was there it was all uni uni uni and nothing else. Not everyone wants to go to ****ing uni.
I think there should be more choice. When I was at school I felt so restricted in the subjects that I was doing because the majority were mandatory. There were subjects that I wish I could of continued at GCSE, but had to drop. There should be the option to have more freedom with creative subjects.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest