The Student Room Group

A-Level Further Maths or German?

I'm torn between choosing further maths or German as my fourth A-Level option. My remaining three are biology, chemistry and maths and I hope to study medicine at an Oxbridge uni.

I enjoy both subjects equally and am about as good at both, so does anyone who has been in a similar situation have any advice on which is more beneficial for applications? Do universities value one more than another, or would one of them make me a more appealing applicant (e.g. communication skills in German or problem solving in FM?), or would something different altogether like an EPQ be better? (I've heard that Oxbridge tend not to look so much at EPQs)
Do ALL 5!!! :biggrin: lol Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology would be a much stronger combination of subjects for Oxbridge and 95% of Oxford Medicine applicants had A-Level Maths and around 20% had also Further Maths in 2021.

You could sit German A-Level too. I know a guy who did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Electronics and German and got accepted into Natural Science - Physical route at Gonville & Caius. :wink:
No University wants more than 3 A levels - and you gain nothing by doing any more as they will just ignore the 4th grade.

If anything, you risk all your grades by attempting a pointless amount of extra work. Remember, AAA will always look better than ABBB - and that could cost you a Uni place. You can always do extra-language classes at Uni - and you dont need German for a Med School application. They will be far more interested in your predicted grades, BMAT/UKCAT scores, and your relevant work experience than an A level in German.

A level entry requiremets for each Medical School - https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2951/entry-requirements-document-2023-entry.pdf
Original post by thegeek888
Do ALL 5!!! :biggrin: lol Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology would be a much stronger combination of subjects for Oxbridge and 95% of Oxford Medicine applicants had A-Level Maths and around 20% had also Further Maths in 2021.

You could sit German A-Level too. I know a guy who did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Electronics and German and got accepted into Natural Science - Physical route at Gonville & Caius. :wink:

How long ago?

Do not encourage people to do 5 A levels it's not appropriate or wise.

Quick Reply

Latest