The Student Room Group

Is St. Hugh's a bad Oxford college?

I got in to study Law but I feel really bad now because I've heard people say it's a really unpopular college. Would going to St. Hugh's make me look worse to employers? Like if I got a 2:1 at St. Hugh's vs a 2:1 at Christchurch
(edited 1 year ago)
Where did you hear that it's an unpopular college?
And no - an Oxford 2:1 is a 2:1, whichever college it's from!
Talking of reputations, have you heard what they say about Christchurch!?!
Did you go to the open day at St. Hugh's, or is there a special offer-holders' day? I bet the people at St. Hugh's love it there.
Original post by deathray65
I got in to study Law but I feel really bad now because I've heard people say it's a really unpopular college. Would going to St. Hugh's make me look worse to employers? Like if I got a 2:1 at St. Hugh's vs a 2:1 at Christchurch

The Oxford University Alternative Prospectus shows proof that St.Hugh's College, Oxford University is a good college. :smile:

https://apply.oxfordsu.org/colleges/st-hughs/

Undergraduates are guaranteed a room in Hugh’s for every year of their degree.

Famous alumni: Aung San Suu Kyi, Amal Clooney, Emily Wilding Davison.

You will be able to work at Akin Gump here in: "THE CITY OF LONDON" : On £150,000+ at the age of 26. :wink:

I would be happy to have an offer from Oxford University for Law, as it is not easy to get an offer from Oxford University for Law.

Please focus and stay calm and take deep breaths and visualise your graduation day from Oxford University with a 1st or 2.1 Law degree!!! :smile:

https://www.rollonfriday.com/inside-info
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by OnAnonAndOn
Where did you hear that it's an unpopular college?
And no - an Oxford 2:1 is a 2:1, whichever college it's from!
Talking of reputations, have you heard what they say about Christchurch!?!

:ditto: Especially that last line there :yep:

St Hugh's is a 'less popular' college with applicants because it's further out from the city centre and doesn't have a 'typical' Oxford aesthetic. That doesn't make it a bad college! :nah:
Dude, Oxford is Oxford. Getting a degree from any of the colleges is an Oxford degree, you’ll be taught the same content as students in all colleges studying the same subject. The only uniqueness of colleges academic-wise is usually the lecturers who will go through your problem sheets and tutorials. The only reason I’ve heard some people complain about colleges such as St Hugh’s and LMH for example is that they’re not in Oxford city centre and thus you have to walk further rather than have your college open up onto the high street like Brasenose and others. But even then it’s literally a 15 min walk from Cornmarket Street, I walked to St Hugh’s just the other day and that’s how long it took me, so hardly the world’s longest trek. Another reason some people huff and puff about it is that it’s not old and medieval but this doesn’t at all impact the quality of teaching. I’m sure you’ve heard by now the trope that most people end up loving their college, even if it wasn’t their first choice. Also, you don’t even need to put your college on your CV or LinkedIn or anything so employers would never know and it wouldn’t make a difference. It’s still a degree from Oxford lol!
(edited 1 year ago)
Also, St Hugh’s is really near Port Meadow, one of the most stunningly beautiful places in Oxford. Perfect for studying there in the summer or patting the horses and cows to relieve a bit of stress!
Original post by Son of the Sea
Also, St Hugh’s is really near Port Meadow, one of the most stunningly beautiful places in Oxford. Perfect for studying there in the summer or patting the horses and cows to relieve a bit of stress!

there is nothing like a cowpat to help you relax

:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending