Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i wanna learn the guitar, but i have no rhythm, at all. is this something you can pick up or is it natural? CHEEEEERS

ReputationRep:
    I am naturally, musically retarded. Yet after a lot of practice I can hobble together a few notes and get a little riff going.

By all means learn it, once you have gotten scales down, learnt some songs etc, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiberiFatali)
    I am naturally, musically retarded. Yet after a lot of practice I can hobble together a few notes and get a little riff going.

By all means learn it, once you have gotten scales down, learnt some songs etc, you should be fine.
    thank you

any advice on first electric guitar?

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can.

Some people start off with a good natural sense of rhythm but most have a lot of room for improvement. Nearly every aspect of musicality can be improved through practice including rhythm, musical ear and musical appreciation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    thank you

any advice on first electric guitar?
    Easy as pie.

As for the guitar, just go for a squire stratocaster.
    It isnt the most exciting guitar but theyve got small necks so its nice and comfortable to play...

ReputationRep:
    Get an epiphone LP, you won't need another for a long time. And yeah, anyone can pick up the guitar with enough patience/drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobagnall)
    Easy as pie.

It isnt the most exciting guitar but theyve got small necks so its nice and comfortable to play...
    im going to be better than buddy holly

maybe even chuck berry

ReputationRep:
    Firstly buy yourself a beginners acoustic guitar and you will have a beginners guide with it for learning easy chords etc. If you're in the UK you can pick one up cheap from Argos for £20.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well try out different ones if possible, don't listen to definitive advice about specific models because people do perceive instruments differently.

ReputationRep:
    I would start on a steel-stringed acoustic, they will toughen your fingers and make the electric guitar seem easy.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all help guys

If you're just starting out I'd advise you to borrow a guitar rather than buying one, or if you do buy one make sure it's cheap. You might decide after a while that it's not the instrument for you (I forked out £80 for a nice electric one & then found out I'd rather play bass due to my really bad coordination skills x_X) so just give it a good test run before you buy a proper one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobagnall)
    Easy as pie.

I'd advise that squires are cheap, and really badly made. Get it as a beginner, but I promise you that as soon as you get a little experience it wont be any good to you (which means, that given time, you'll be paying out again).

The thing with guitars, it all depends on you. I'd go into a shop as opposed to buying one online, and get a feel for the different makes and find one which suits you. I think it's completely subjective.

Having said that, if you have money, and really get into guitar, get a http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Guitars...ars/p6782.aspx . <3<3<3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisyesterday)
    If you have money, and really get into guitar, get a http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Guitars...ars/p6782.aspx . <3
    thats gorgeous, i dont like the plate (is it?) though, too shiney :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisyesterday)
    I'd advise that squires are cheap, and really badly made. Get it as a beginner, but I promise you that as soon as you get a little experience it wont be any good to you (which means, that given time, you'll be paying out again).

The thing with guitars, it all depends on you. I'd go into a shop as opposed to buying one online, and get a feel for the different makes and find one which suits you. I think it's completely subjective.

Having said that, if you have money, and really get into guitar, get a http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Guitars...ars/p6782.aspx . <3<3<3
    Well... depening on where theyre made, they can be very well made for the money.

I work in a guitar shop and 9/10 i recomend a squire starter pack to a newbie. For the money, youll get an amp, guitar and all the other stuff youll need to start off... alot cheaper than you could get it else where...

But if you dont like that suggestion then still steer clear of anything in the line of a les paul or anything else like that... the necks will be alot thicker and make it alot more difficult to get started on...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.