The Student Room Group

GCSE results day countdown

GCSE RESULTS DAY COUNTDOWN

TODAY IS RESULTS DAY

Results day is looming and TSR tradition means we have to have a countdown thread for everyone to get to know each other, talk about their hopes/fears and generally relax (as well as sharing advice and information before the big day). We'll update this post with pointers to advice and support soon but for now introduce yourselves

Introduce yourself
1. iGCSEs or GCSEs or BTECs?
2. What subjects?

For everyone:
7. What grades are you predicted?
8. How are you feeling about results day?
9. Any particular subjects you want to do at A-Level? If so, what are the grades you need for it?
9. Anything else to add?

FAQs

RESULTS

When can I collect my results from school/college?

That depends on the arrangements your school/college make - if you don't know the details then ring them up or ask your friends who go to the same school and ask.

Can someone else collect my results for me?

Some schools (not sure if all do this) will allow someone else to collect your results for you if they have a signed letter from you stating that they're collecting it for you and photographic ID to go with it (it's a safety thing for them to do this)

How do I choose my A-Level courses?

On Enrolment day, you go to your prospective Sixth Form (make sure you've gotten a place before you show up) and you will sign in and choose your 3/4 subjects for Sixth Form - subject to sixth forms/college.

What if I don't get the results for the subjects I want?

Not all is lost - a lot of Sixth Forms allow you to resit so you can take an access course while you resit your exams then you can go on to take them the following year or you can take different courses - but if there's still spaces on courses, you can ask your Sixth Form/College to potentially allow you to do the course.

What is the difference between Sixth Form and College?

College buildings are usually much bigger and you take 1 course equivalent to 3 A-Levels or you can take 3 A-Levels as opposed to Sixth Form which allows you to take 3 A-Levels. Both do vocational (Level 3) courses too.

What happens if I fail Maths and/or English?

You will need to resit those exams - you can still do A-Levels without them.

What if I make the wrong choice for A-Level subjects?

Not all is lost! Usually Sixth Forms have a few weeks of flexibility to change any of your subjects. So if there's any subjects you chose but you really don't want to do then you can go to your head of Sixth Form or even email your head of Sixth Form and tell them which subject you want to change and to what.

Look at TSR's advice on this website to look how GCSEs are considered at some universities:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6033950

Let me know what else you want to know! And the countdown starts now!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JA03
30 DAYS UNTIL RESULTS DAY

Results day is looming and TSR tradition means we have to have a countdown thread for everyone to get to know each other, talk about their hopes/fears and generally relax (as well as sharing advice and information before the big day). We'll update this post with pointers to advice and support soon but for now introduce yourselves

Introduce yourself
2. What subjects?

For everyone:
9. Any particular subjects you want to do at A-Level? If so, what are the grades you need for it?
9. Anything else to add?

FAQs

RESULTS

That depends on the arrangements your school/college make - if you don't know the details then ring them up or ask your friends who go to the same school and ask.

Some schools (not sure if all do this) will allow someone else to collect your results for you if they have a signed letter from you stating that they're collecting it for you and photographic ID to go with it (it's a safety thing for them to do this)

Friday the 26th of August is enrolment day where you go to your prospective Sixth Form (make sure you've gotten a place before you show up) and you will sign in and choose your 3/4 subjects for Sixth Form.

Not all is lost - a lot of Sixth Forms allow you to resit so you can take an access course while you resit your exams then you can go on to take them the following year.

College buildings are usually much bigger and you take 1 course worth 3 A-Levels as opposed to Sixth Form which allows you to take 3 A-Levels.

You will need to resit those exams and complete an access course because (I'm not sure why - I'll find out) you cannot go onto your A-Levels without them.

Not all is lost! Usually Sixth Forms have a few weeks of flexibility to change any of your subjects. So if there's any subjects you chose but you really don't want to do then you can go to your head of Sixth Form or even email your head of Sixth Form and tell them which subject you want to change and to what?

hi!
i’m doing gcses for all my subjects except maths and sciences, which i’m doing edexcel igcse for.
the subjects i took were:
- maths
- english lit & lang
- triple science
- german
- latin
- computer science
- music (but i did this last year)

i’m predicted all 9s, which is what i’m hoping for, but i’m quite nervous about whether i can actually achieve this.
i’m mostly feeling very nervous about results day, though a part of me is sort of excited to get it over with and end the suspense, haha.

at a-level, i’m planning to do:
- german (i need a 7)
- latin (also a 7)
- maths (i need an 8)
- music (7 required but i’ve already gotten a 9 in this, so i don’t have to worry about it)
i’m also doing an epq, but i’m not yet quite sure what it’s going to be about.

best of luck to everybody else getting gcse results! i’m sure everyone’s done amazingly :smile:
Reply 2
Hi

I did maths, English, science, citizenship, ICT, media, geography, product design for my GCSEs. Hyped to find out what I got. For my college course I need at least 5 GCSEs at a grade 4 or above including maths and English which seems extremely doable as my targets were 6s in everything apart from English which I was aimed at a 7 for and maths what I was aimed at a 5 for. I hope to get at least 6s in all subjects. Results day still feels like ages away even though it's only 19 days at this point. Anybody got any good ways to pass the time btw?
Original post by JA03

Friday the 26th of August is enrolment day where you go to your prospective Sixth Form

Some of this is incorrect for the schools I know of.

You can take A levels at college - so the one course comment isn't right.

Some schools will allow you to take A levels if you fail one of Eng or Maths.

You can only change A levels if there is room in the group - often there is a cap on group numbers.

Enrolment day is not the same for all schools so check.
Original post by Muttley79
Some of this is incorrect for the schools I know of.

You can take A levels at college - so the one course comment isn't right.

Some schools will allow you to take A levels if you fail one of Eng or Maths.

You can only change A levels if there is room in the group - often there is a cap on group numbers.

Enrolment day is not the same for all schools so check.

All the things I said were to my knowledge - I’m sorry if some of the stuff I said is wrong.
Original post by JA03
All the things I said were to my knowledge - I’m sorry if some of the stuff I said is wrong.

They may be right for your school ... but people need to check their own.
Original post by JA03

Maybe change the college section to say 'you take one course equivalent to 3 A-Levels, or 3 separate A-Levels' (I only applied to colleges and will be taking 3 A-Levels) :smile:
Original post by JA03

19 DAYS UNTIL RESULTS DAY

Introduce yourself
2. What subjects?

For everyone:
9. Anything else to add?

FAQs

RESULTS

Friday the 26th of August is enrolment day where you go to your prospective Sixth Form (make sure you've gotten a place before you show up) and you will sign in and choose your 3/4 subjects for Sixth Form.

Not all is lost - a lot of Sixth Forms allow you to resit so you can take an access course while you resit your exams then you can go on to take them the following year.

College buildings are usually much bigger and you take 1 course worth 3 A-Levels as opposed to Sixth Form which allows you to take 3 A-Levels.

You will need to resit those exams and complete an access course because (I'm not sure why - I'll find out) you cannot go onto your A-Levels without them.

Not all is lost! Usually Sixth Forms have a few weeks of flexibility to change any of your subjects. So if there's any subjects you chose but you really don't want to do then you can go to your head of Sixth Form or even email your head of Sixth Form and tell them which subject you want to change and to what.

1. GCSEs
2. Maths (9), English language (8), English literature (7), Religious studies (8), Geography (9), Spanish (7), Business (7), Sociology (9), Biology (8), Chemistry (9), Physics (8), Further Maths (7)

I want to study Maths Chemistry Economics and Politics for A-level.
I need 7s/8s to get into my desired sixth form

I’m kind of nervous for results day, but I’m more curious to find out what I got.
Original post by JA03

19 DAYS UNTIL RESULTS DAY

Introduce yourself
2. What subjects?

For everyone:
9. Anything else to add?

FAQs

RESULTS

On Enrolment day, you go to your prospective Sixth Form (make sure you've gotten a place before you show up) and you will sign in and choose your 3/4 subjects for Sixth Form - subject to sixth forms/college.

Not all is lost - a lot of Sixth Forms allow you to resit so you can take an access course while you resit your exams then you can go on to take them the following year or you can take different courses - but if there's still spaces on courses, you can ask your Sixth Form/College to potentially allow you to do the course.

College buildings are usually much bigger and you take 1 course equivalent to 3 A-Levels or you can take 3 A-Levels as opposed to Sixth Form which allows you to take 3 A-Levels. Both do vocational (Level 3) courses too.

You will need to resit those exams - you can still do A-Levels without them.

1. i'm doing GCSEs
2. maths, english language, english literature, biology, physics, chemistry, re, business, history, french
3. i'm predicted 9988888877
4. i feel pretty calm tbh
5. i'm doing maths(6), further maths(8), history(6), economics(6 in business)

good luck to everybody getting their results (alevels included ):smile:
Hi , I have a situation , I moved education systems and had to give gcses on a short notice. My school randomly put me into subjects that did not need coursework , I had to cram for them and now I dont know how they went. I want to do 4 A levels but I dont know if i will get the grades to get them. I have always been an above average student. The thought of not getting the grades I need really disturbs me , Does anyone know how lenient sixth forms are in situations like these?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Owls1999
Hi , I have a situation , I moved education systems and had to give gcses on a short notice. My school randomly put me into subjects that did not need coursework , I had to cram for them and now I dont know how they went. I want to do 4 A levels but I dont know if i will get the grades to get them. I have always been an above average student. The thought of not getting the grades I need really disturbs me , Does anyone know how lenient sixth forms are in situations like these?

What area are you from? so that we know what sixth forms to reccomend
1. i sat 9 GCSEs :smile:
2. biology, chemistry, maths, english language, english literature, psychology, history, Spanish, RS
3. predicted 999999998
4. a little bit wobbly but overall pretty confident! praying i'll outdo my predictions
5. i'd like to do bio, chem and either psychology or maths; i'm pretty sure i need a 6 in every subject that i'd like to sit? maybe a 7 for maths
Original post by c_iwuagwu
What area are you from? so that we know what sixth forms to reccomend

oh I already have a place at a sixth form in my area I just am not sure if ill meet the grade requirements : /
oh I already have a place at a sixth form in my area I just am not sure if ill meet the grade requirements : /

Have you tried emailing them to explain your circumstances? I'm sure they would understand if u exaggerated how the change in education examinations affected you and you gave proof of your capability in the subjects you wish to do. You could also apply for special consideration for your GCSE grades but unfortunately, I'm not sure if the deadlines passed.
Original post by howdoeslifelook
Have you tried emailing them to explain your circumstances? I'm sure they would understand if u exaggerated how the change in education examinations affected you and you gave proof of your capability in the subjects you wish to do. You could also apply for special consideration for your GCSE grades but unfortunately, I'm not sure if the deadlines passed.

i did try and explain it to them , im just worried they are not going to be lenient if i dont achieve the grades i need . P.S I ve heard gcse results are taken into account by universities as well , do you think they consider situations like these if i have bad gcses but work really hard at A levels?
P.S I ve heard gcse results are taken into account by universities as well , do you think they consider situations like these if i have bad gcses but work really hard at A levels?
You can read TSR's advice on this here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6033950

@JA03 - Could this link be added to your OP? :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
You can read TSR's advice on this here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6033950

@JA03 - Could this link be added to your OP? :smile:

Sure!
PRSOM
Ledge
Original post by 04MR17
PRSOM
Ledge

What in the..
I'm not gonna ask.
Original post by JA03
What in the..
I'm not gonna ask.
Ledge = Legend ie you are a legend. Does this mean something else in youth speak nowadays? :redface:

Quick Reply