The Student Room Group

help choosing my a-levels !!

i've applied and got places to study maths, further maths, phsyics and business at sixth form but i'm contemplating my last choices.

i know that i definitely want to do the two maths a levels as if i don't know what to do for uni, maths will be my backup as it's my fav subject.

i'm a bit stuck between whether to stick with business or stick with economics. originally i'd always planned to do business but at one of the taster days i had an economics session and i really enjoyed it. i've looked at papers online and they both look okay so now i'm really stuck because it's one or the other and i don't know what to do? so any advice on what to do.

also unsure on physics. i enjoyed it at gcse and it was quite a last minute decision to do it as an a-level. while my grades were relatively good, i did find some of it a bit confusing and so i don't want to take it at a-level and find it super hard and then do really badly. if this got switched out i'd probably have to do another science so chemistry as i don't like biology and i need one of the more 'academic' options but i feel like that just isn't for me.

any opinions on the courses or stuff would be helpful, thank you !!
Reply 1
I suggest economics instead of business. It’s a lot more academic. You don’t really need a 4th so maybe drop physics; maths, fm, and economics are enough.
Reply 2
You will gain more valuable knowledge from studying Economics.
Maths, FM and Economics OR Maths, FM and Physics
Forget Business Studies - if you are capable of doing Maths/FM then Econ is a far better long-term option.
Reply 4
i'd suggest doing economics, especially if maths is your back-up option and you feel you're capable of it. it'll be a lot more valuable to you as it's more academic than business.
Original post by virgoamelia
i've applied and got places to study maths, further maths, phsyics and business at sixth form but i'm contemplating my last choices.

i know that i definitely want to do the two maths a levels as if i don't know what to do for uni, maths will be my backup as it's my fav subject.

i'm a bit stuck between whether to stick with business or stick with economics. originally i'd always planned to do business but at one of the taster days i had an economics session and i really enjoyed it. i've looked at papers online and they both look okay so now i'm really stuck because it's one or the other and i don't know what to do? so any advice on what to do.

also unsure on physics. i enjoyed it at gcse and it was quite a last minute decision to do it as an a-level. while my grades were relatively good, i did find some of it a bit confusing and so i don't want to take it at a-level and find it super hard and then do really badly. if this got switched out i'd probably have to do another science so chemistry as i don't like biology and i need one of the more 'academic' options but i feel like that just isn't for me.

any opinions on the courses or stuff would be helpful, thank you !!

Heya! I did econ and business during my GCSEs and then had to choose between econ and business for a-levels. I have chosen to do econ and it quickly became my fav subject (I did maths, econ, bio and chem). I always enjoyed econ more than business as I learned more from it. Econ looks into micro and macro economy while business mostly just talks about business ( I found it too easy and extremely boring). I have learned much more from econ and even helped my friends with their business a-levels ( econ had a lot of the same elements as business). Even to this day, I apply lots of the things I learned in econ in real life or in my studies (currently doing pharma with entrepreneurship).

Also, 4 a-levels is a lot of workload. Think carefully over it. I did 4 a-levels and it was extremely hard and unnecessary for universities, A*A*A looks better than AABB. You could potentially just drop physics if you think you won't enjoy it too much and find it hard. A lot of my friends actually enjoyed physics (but I haven't done it so can't say much). However, if you want to stick with physics or pick chemistry ( I love chemistry but it was/is very hard) here are some free resources to help you with your decision. Have a go at doing some past papers and see how you find them :smile:

Also, it all depends on what subject you want to do at university. The entry requirements are very important and depending on the subject, they could require specific a-levels. Do you want to do more science or perhaps finance courses? If you want to do finance, why do you need an extra science a-level? Have a look at what you want to do and see how that aligns with your decisions!

Hope this helps and good luck!
MIlena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest