The Student Room Group

aqa or ocr physics a level?

the school i want to go to for sixth form does the aqa phsyics exam board however my secondary school always spoke abd about the exam board and said ocr is the best. i really don't want to stay on at my current school which does ocr so is aqa for a level physics a good exam board and is the content very similar? i've heard you have to write a 20marker or smth at the end, is this true?
Original post by virgoamelia
the school i want to go to for sixth form does the aqa phsyics exam board however my secondary school always spoke abd about the exam board and said ocr is the best. i really don't want to stay on at my current school which does ocr so is aqa for a level physics a good exam board and is the content very similar? i've heard you have to write a 20marker or smth at the end, is this true?

Look at the specification on the exam board website and sample papers.

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/physics-7407-7408
To add to what's been said, all exam boards which provide A levels for teaching in English state schools have to have content approved by Ofqual. This means there isn't a huge difference in content between them and they are all of a similar standard. For A level Physics, AQA is significantly more popular then OCR,.

I'd choose aqa over ocr anyday, the grade boundaries are really strict for OCR so it's difficult to get a good grade. I did English Lit with OCR and it was horrible and the grade boundaries were really high. The content shouldn't really differ too much but it's best to stick with AQA. I did a quick check on the november 2021 boundaries to achieve a c grade:

- to get a C grade with OCR you need: 44.4% - lets say 45% of the marks (I looked at overall boundaries for physics)

- to get a C grade with AQA you need: 40% ( I looked at the physics engineering)

I haven't studied A level physics but if you're looking at question types then it's worth checking past papers

I do aqa but I really don't think the exam board you do matters too much after all if you're going to get an A* you'll get it regardless of exam board.

Heya! I would recommend just going over the exam board specifications for both and seeing which one suits you the best. Usually, they are similar and cover similar topics overall but the way they approach the exam may be different. As other people have stated earlier, AQA seems to be more popular for Physics. If it's of any help, here is a link to AQA and OCR Physics past papers so you can compare the two and the way they ask questions.

Hope this helps!

Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest