The Student Room Group

DSA depression/anxiety – fridge/freezer in room

Has anyone been successful getting a freezer (or at least permission to have one) in their room via DSA for anxiety/depression? I'm going to be living in college accommodation at Cambridge next year so we don't have freezers in our kitchens, but when I'm in a depression slump I find it so hard to cook for myself or go out to buy food. In first year this meant I ended up eating really unhealthy just whatever crap I had, or ordering loads of uber eats that I couldn't afford. Last year I was living out so had a freezer, and found it made such a difference bc it meant I could bulk cook meals and freeze them and always have something in for the days I couldn't make it to the shops. Would love to hear from someone who has successfully got a mini fridge/freezer in their room for mental health reasons/just general advice about what it's like getting a DSA for chronic depression/anxiety
Original post by francescamartina
Has anyone been successful getting a freezer (or at least permission to have one) in their room via DSA for anxiety/depression? I'm going to be living in college accommodation at Cambridge next year so we don't have freezers in our kitchens, but when I'm in a depression slump I find it so hard to cook for myself or go out to buy food. In first year this meant I ended up eating really unhealthy just whatever crap I had, or ordering loads of uber eats that I couldn't afford. Last year I was living out so had a freezer, and found it made such a difference bc it meant I could bulk cook meals and freeze them and always have something in for the days I couldn't make it to the shops. Would love to hear from someone who has successfully got a mini fridge/freezer in their room for mental health reasons/just general advice about what it's like getting a DSA for chronic depression/anxiety

Hi there.

@04MR17 may be able to provide some advice. :smile:

Best wishes. :smile:
Have you spoken to the relevant disability/accommodation teams? Nowadays it's often the uni, rather than DSA, that organises accommodation adaptations (although people might use their DSA report as part of their evidence to justify need for a fridge/freezer). Even if that's not the case, they'd be a good starting point for information specific to your college/uni.

It's also worth checking how such an allowance would be made: often unis provide the fridge rather than giving permission, so you'd have to be clear what your needs are if that were the case. Quite often the ones they supply are intended mainly for storing medication, so they end up being those fridges with a tiny freezer section (in mine this year the freezer section barely worked and could only fit one small bag of Quorn nuggets, so wouldn't be good enough for what you're looking for!).

While my fridge isn't for depression/anxiety so I can't comment on that specifically, it is for ASD, so it's definitely possible to be allowed one for more reasons than just storing medication or severe allergies. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
This would need to be something the DSA Needs Assessor recognised as a need for you to be entitled to it.

Mini fridges are common in University rooms for people who need to have refrigerated medication. Most commonly insulin for T1 Diabetic students. Even then, I couldn't acquire one from the university or from DSA due to both saying the other should be responsible. :rolleyes:

My advice to you, OP, is to talk to Cambridge's disability support service. My experience with them was excellent (far better than most uni disability departments I've dealt with) and they are your best chance to find some solutions to ease your problems.

Quick Reply

Latest