The Student Room Group

GCSE results anxiety

Hi guys.
So I have finished my GCSEs and now I am just waiting for my results on 25th Aug.
I have been feeling quite uneasy about getting my results back. My main reason is due to finding out what I will get in English language. I found that I did struggle in the exams as English Lang is really hit or miss for me. I need to get a grade 6 for the subjects I want to do (biology chemistry and psychology). Both sixth forms that I have applied to require a 6 for English language (i only applied to 2 sixth forms). Out of the 3 mocks for English language that I have done, I have received a grade 6 before, a grade 7 before and a grade 9 before and i haven’t ever had a grade lower than a 6.
I feel afraid and worked up as I wouldn’t know at all what to do if I got a grade lower than a 6 in English. Would the sixth forms not accept me at all?!
English language is the weakest subject for me out of them all - I get quite high grades in all my other subjects (7s 8s and 9s) and I get 9s in biology and chemistry (the subjects I am taking for A-Levels).
Maths is quite high too, I got a grade 8 in my most recent mock exam.

So I continuously have this fear that I won’t be able to do my subjects at my sixth forms (which I have conditional offers from).
The grade requirement for biology and chemistry for both sixthforms is also a grade 6 and I am almost sure that I will be able to hit that target.

I really don’t want to have to miss a whole year just because I didn’t get the grade for English and I keep thinking of worst case scenarios :frown:
Original post by harlz_chalamet
Hi guys.
So I have finished my GCSEs and now I am just waiting for my results on 25th Aug.
I have been feeling quite uneasy about getting my results back. My main reason is due to finding out what I will get in English language. I found that I did struggle in the exams as English Lang is really hit or miss for me. I need to get a grade 6 for the subjects I want to do (biology chemistry and psychology). Both sixth forms that I have applied to require a 6 for English language (i only applied to 2 sixth forms). Out of the 3 mocks for English language that I have done, I have received a grade 6 before, a grade 7 before and a grade 9 before and i haven’t ever had a grade lower than a 6.
I feel afraid and worked up as I wouldn’t know at all what to do if I got a grade lower than a 6 in English. Would the sixth forms not accept me at all?!
English language is the weakest subject for me out of them all - I get quite high grades in all my other subjects (7s 8s and 9s) and I get 9s in biology and chemistry (the subjects I am taking for A-Levels).
Maths is quite high too, I got a grade 8 in my most recent mock exam.

So I continuously have this fear that I won’t be able to do my subjects at my sixth forms (which I have conditional offers from).
The grade requirement for biology and chemistry for both sixthforms is also a grade 6 and I am almost sure that I will be able to hit that target.

I really don’t want to have to miss a whole year just because I didn’t get the grade for English and I keep thinking of worst case scenarios :frown:

If you've never got below a 6 in mocks (and even got a 9) I doubt you would in the actual exam. Even if you did, your sixth forms would look at all of your other grades and especially the grades in sciences. At the end of the day, your science grades matter the most in your case and if all of your other grades are amazing the sixth form should still be able to accept you- I was told this by a teacher who did sixth form admissions for my current school.#

I'm sure you've done amazing regardless and wishing you all the best! :smile:
Original post by thrivingfrog
If you've never got below a 6 in mocks (and even got a 9) I doubt you would in the actual exam. Even if you did, your sixth forms would look at all of your other grades and especially the grades in sciences. At the end of the day, your science grades matter the most in your case and if all of your other grades are amazing the sixth form should still be able to accept you- I was told this by a teacher who did sixth form admissions for my current school.#

I'm sure you've done amazing regardless and wishing you all the best! :smile:

Hey thanks so much for the help!!
I really do hope that you’re right

I wish you all the best too xx :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest