Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I've applied for the physics four year course done the PAT and all off that.
    I live in switzerland and they say you need a 5 (75%) in every subject, basically an A but where I come from in switzerland this is virtually impossible.
    My school has more or less 400 students that will finish this year and maybe 2 or 3 will get nothing worse than a 5 (we have ! 9 ! subjects) and nobody has ever finished with only 6s (95%) in my school (20 years old with at least 300 students a year). Whearase 20 minutes away in an oder canton (like Scotland to England or Wales) they have loads of people with only 5s and about the same number of only 6s as we have 5s (relatively to the number of students)
    It's not cause we're stupid it's just cause they do the tests easyer and mark the same way.
    I know the chances I'll get an offer are tiny but I still keep wondering about this cause it would be even worse to get an offer for irealistic grades than to get rejected
    So I'm wondering what I can do ? If I get an interview should I talk about this? I think so but they might believe I'm trying to push them or that I'm making some storry up cause I'm lame

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mf2004)
    I live in switzerland and they say you need a 5 (75%) in every subject, basically an A but where I come from in switzerland this is virtually impossible.
    They are unlikely to ask for 5s in every subject. The offer is more likely to specify an average of 5 across all subjects, with specific scores in subjects relevant to the degree (so, Maths and Physics in your case).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pf1)
    They are unlikely to ask for 5s in every subject. The offer is more likely to specify an average of 5 across all subjects, with specific scores in subjects relevant to the degree (so, Maths and Physics in your case).
    the first time I looked on their site I just had a short look and tought so too and then I was like ok I can do that but them my mum as she looked at it pointed it out to me and it really says 5 in every subject

ReputationRep:
    I presume you're talking about this page. It's just a guideline - there aren't enough people applying with the Swiss qualification to give a 'standard' offer.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I meant that page.
    I still think I'll talk to them about it at the interview if I get one cause if they go with the Geneva schooling system what they say is very possible but the Vaud system is a lot harder. Education is really different depending on where you live here.

ReputationRep:
    The interview is probably not the time to bring it up. I would suggest as an initial port of call to phone the central admissions office (who are likely to be the ones who produced the list you're refering to). They won't be in a position to change their guidance or any offer you receive there and then, but they might have more details about what a typical offer would be. It might well be the case that they have different guidance for each different exam system that's listed.

For UK students, most people only do three subjects, but even when you do more a typical offer for physics, say, would be conditional 'achieving an A in Physics A level, an A in Maths A level and an A in one further subject', not As in everything you're doing, and IB offers are generally something like 776 in the higher level subjects so there's hope yet.

See what they say, otherwise wait and see if you get an offer; if you do, then maybe start asking them to reconsider their requirements.

ReputationRep:
    The other useful thing you could do is to ask the head of your school, or someone fairly high up in it, to write directly to the tutor for admissions at the college you have applied to or been allocated, to explain the situation. This will carry far more weight than anything you might say, especially if they have statistical evidence to back up what you say about the variability of the fractions of students achieving each grade in different cantons.

The admissions people do their best to give guidelines as to the comparability of different countries' qualifications, but (just because of the small numbers involved) they won't know about this level of fine-grain detail unless they are told - but they will want evidence!

DtS

ReputationRep:
    I'll send them an email myself first and tell them that I could maybe get somebody high up in the school to write something if they wanted.
    the thing is here we have 23 cantons (like states) and everyone is more or less free of doing as they want for education. There are a couple of things they have to do if they want to deliver a certificate at the end but it's all pretty messed up.
    The stupid thing is I know the swedish system (I'm swedish and have loads of friends there) and I would get the grades there. I also know the serman system (was there 3 months) and would have got the grades there as well and finaly I've got a pretty good idea of how dificult the British sytems are (my dad's scotish and I've got loads of family in the UK) and I would get the grades there as well :mad:
    stupid parents who had to settle in Vaud and not Geneva :20 minutes away :mad: lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 11, 2008
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.