The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature and Language help.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get grade 7-9 in English because i got a grade 3 in lang and 4 in lit for my year 10 mocks which are the lowest grades i have ever gotten and i want to know how to boost my grades over the summer.
Which exam board do you sit? If it's AQA which texts do you study for lit?
Reply 2
i do AQA and i am doing an inspector calls, A christmas Carol and macbeth
I did Romeo and Juliet and Blood Brothers so I can't really help with content. However, I would definitely recommend using Aristotelian tragedy for macbeth in your responses. It makes your answer much higher level and impresses examiners. I would also repeat my line of argument at the start and end of each paragraph that you write. Also don't copy too much of your introduction in your conclusion and definitely include context in both of these paragraphs. Let me know if I can help with anything else :smile:.
Okay, so I did edexcel so I'm not too sure on the actual exam structure, but I can help with the content of Macbeth. (I'm predicted a 9, waiting on results so I hope I can help)

With Macbeth, I think themes are the most prevalent point of the play. Characters (imo) are an embodiment of the different themes (MacB and ambition, LM and femininity, Witches and supernatural etc.) So really, in terms of learning the plot, focus on how everything interlinks and reflects each other.
Try and recap each act in brief summaries per character. Knowing each individual's role and arc should help you remember the overall plot.
Learning quotes are important too and picking the ones to learn are even harder. The way I chose my quotes were by making essay plans per character or theme (depending on your course structure), I tried to keep the amount of quotes I used to a minimum and reused them where I could ('unsex me here' is a quote thats applicable to alot of different essays: LM, supernatural, femininity, ambition etc). I can link a quizlet I made for my quotes, they might not all be great for you but its a start at least: Macbeth quotes Quizlet . Don't learn an obscene amount, it just makes it harder on you, try to keep it to a minimum, I think I ended up with just over 30? Seems alot but some are quick and easy to learn

There are alot of films or shows out there that you could watch. Don't use them for in depth knowledge, but for an overview of the plot and a general understanding they can be quite useful. Id recommend Macbeth (2015) the one with Michael Fassbender but any of them would be helpful.

Just generally with any English text, I think the best way to learn it is find a way to make it enjoyable. Alot of texts can be hard but if you find good parts to it, it makes everything better. Personally I enjoyed Macbeth alot but that was only after I got past the phrasing/format and appreciated the plot and its characters.

For Eng Lang, once again its a different exam board so idk how similar they are, but I found that the questions all asked for set formats and you just changed you answer to suit the given text i.e. text a is similar to text b since they both share the theme of x. this can be seen in a when it says "" and b where it says "". And then it was almost a copy and paste format for me.

Hope that helps, just remember it might not all be useful since we're different exam boards
Original post by m67KS
i do AQA and i am doing an inspector calls, A christmas Carol and macbeth
Reply 5
Original post by chloe257
I did Romeo and Juliet and Blood Brothers so I can't really help with content. However, I would definitely recommend using Aristotelian tragedy for macbeth in your responses. It makes your answer much higher level and impresses examiners. I would also repeat my line of argument at the start and end of each paragraph that you write. Also don't copy too much of your introduction in your conclusion and definitely include context in both of these paragraphs. Let me know if I can help with anything else :smile:.

Thank u so much
Reply 6
Original post by generalidea
Okay, so I did edexcel so I'm not too sure on the actual exam structure, but I can help with the content of Macbeth. (I'm predicted a 9, waiting on results so I hope I can help)

With Macbeth, I think themes are the most prevalent point of the play. Characters (imo) are an embodiment of the different themes (MacB and ambition, LM and femininity, Witches and supernatural etc.) So really, in terms of learning the plot, focus on how everything interlinks and reflects each other.
Try and recap each act in brief summaries per character. Knowing each individual's role and arc should help you remember the overall plot.
Learning quotes are important too and picking the ones to learn are even harder. The way I chose my quotes were by making essay plans per character or theme (depending on your course structure), I tried to keep the amount of quotes I used to a minimum and reused them where I could ('unsex me here' is a quote thats applicable to alot of different essays: LM, supernatural, femininity, ambition etc). I can link a quizlet I made for my quotes, they might not all be great for you but its a start at least: Macbeth quotes Quizlet . Don't learn an obscene amount, it just makes it harder on you, try to keep it to a minimum, I think I ended up with just over 30? Seems alot but some are quick and easy to learn

There are alot of films or shows out there that you could watch. Don't use them for in depth knowledge, but for an overview of the plot and a general understanding they can be quite useful. Id recommend Macbeth (2015) the one with Michael Fassbender but any of them would be helpful.

Just generally with any English text, I think the best way to learn it is find a way to make it enjoyable. Alot of texts can be hard but if you find good parts to it, it makes everything better. Personally I enjoyed Macbeth alot but that was only after I got past the phrasing/format and appreciated the plot and its characters.

For Eng Lang, once again its a different exam board so idk how similar they are, but I found that the questions all asked for set formats and you just changed you answer to suit the given text i.e. text a is similar to text b since they both share the theme of x. this can be seen in a when it says "" and b where it says "". And then it was almost a copy and paste format for me.

Hope that helps, just remember it might not all be useful since we're different exam boards

Yes this definitely helps thanks a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest