The Student Room Group

Self teaching? Tell me more

From reading a few threads on here I am now curious.

I never knew it was even possible to teach yourself an A-Level and sit the exam. Why is it not heard of more? Is there any small print to it, it seems too easy to just teach yourself and take the exam? Teachers annoy me so much, mine are nice and everything but I feel like id do a lot better on my own.

Sorry if these are stupid questions I just want to know more about it as I never even knew it was possible.

Thanks
Reply 1
I personally wouldn't reccommend it, well not 100% on your own. Toward the end of my A2 year I self-taught Psychology as our teacher was useless and was teaching us the wrong thing. If you want to do more personal study then I'd say to have a word with your teachers, because if you just stop turning up to lessons the chances are they'll withdraw you from your exams anyway. I think (I may be wrong) that if you want to completely self-teach without the backing of a school or college then you'll have to pay to sit the exams yourself.

If your dead-set on it, I'd probably just print off your subject specifications from the exam board websites, make sure you know everything on it, and print off all the past exam papers you can lay your hands on. Probably a good idea to try to find some exam workshops too.
Reply 2
nterry242
I personally wouldn't reccommend it, well not 100% on your own. Toward the end of my A2 year I self-taught Psychology as our teacher was useless and was teaching us the wrong thing. If you want to do more personal study then I'd say to have a word with your teachers, because if you just stop turning up to lessons the chances are they'll withdraw you from your exams anyway. I think (I may be wrong) that if you want to completely self-teach without the backing of a school or college then you'll have to pay to sit the exams yourself.

If your dead-set on it, I'd probably just print off your subject specifications from the exam board websites, make sure you know everything on it, and print off all the past exam papers you can lay your hands on. Probably a good idea to try to find some exam workshops too.

Thanks for the info!
If I stopped turning up to lessons they would kick me out of college I know that, it's just how the college I go to is, absence isnt something they look past :s-smilie:
And yes ive read that you'd need to pay to sit the exams if your not enrolled in a college.

Thanks again

Latest

Trending

Trending