Turn on thread page Beta

Being intelligent can be a curse as well as a virtue watch

ReputationRep:
    Not to be arrogant, but I'm intelligent and (more importantly) englightened.

It's very frustrating to me when I see the un-enlightened masses squabbling over petty problems in politics and everyday life, because usually I already have the right solution to the issue in question, but can't put it in to practice because no-one else is enlightened enough to see it, though I do my best to do so in my own life.

Does anyone else agree?

ReputationRep:
    Well tbh that does come across as really arrogant although i can see where you're coming from.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy their ignorance.

Anyway, it's fun to squabble.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it tires me to have to lower myself to an inferior intellectual level...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SovietRussiaFH)
    Not to be arrogant, but I'm intelligent and (more importantly) englightened.

It's very frustrating to me when I see the un-enlightened masses squabbling over petty problems in politics and everyday life, because usually I already have the right solution to the issue in question, but can't put it in to practice because no-one else is enlightened enough to see it, though I do my best to do so in my own life.

Does anyone else agree?
    Well, if nothing else, I don't agree that you're not arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    'masses' you know

ReputationRep:
    Intelligent people are impressive. Arrogant intelligent people are not.

ReputationRep:
    I whole-heartedly agree. I spend half my time in my sixth form common room, listening to how bad other's lives are, when I'm sitting in my little bubble thinking 'I've sorted this problem, actually, but I'm not giving you my opinion.' I said to someone that I felt about 40 today, because of this and that fact that I outstrip everyone in my sixth form by at least a grade in the subjects I do. This isn't exaggeration. This is fact.

And I don't agree you're not arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    Ridicule is the burden of genius...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_alba)
    Well, if nothing else, I don't agree that you're not arrogant.
    Name-calling and personal insults impede the progress of humanity.

I agree, god it's ******* hard.

ReputationRep:
    how terrible for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mijdge)
    I whole-heartedly agree. I spend half my time in my sixth form common room, listening to how bad other's lives are, when I'm sitting in my little bubble thinking 'I've sorted this problem, actually, but I'm not giving you my opinion.' I said to someone that I felt about 40 today, because of this and that fact that I outstrip everyone in my sixth form by at least a grade in the subjects I do. This isn't exaggeration. This is fact.
    That's pretty much what I mean, but I don't associate intelligence with age, there are some really dumb old people out there.

ReputationRep:
    Name-calling and personal insults impede the progress of humanity.
    Tell that to Shakespeare.

ReputationRep:
    'Enlightened' was such a bad word to use here! It made you seem really arrogant, while I know you're not trying to be really.

I agree with your post, if I change every 'englightened' to 'aware' (or some other word). A lot of discussions or conversations with people that are much less 'intelligent' than you can seem so simple.

What I hate most, is people trying to have a discussion about something that they clearly know nothing about. The LHC was the perfect example really.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with the_alba on this one.

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty much what I mean, but I don't associate intelligence with age, there are some really dumb old people out there.
    Ha! I have to agree, my Mum is one of them. I just get a bit frustrated sometimes. I argue with them to give my ego a boost.

ReputationRep:
    With that post, you don't seem that very intelligent

ReputationRep:
    The OP is enlightened? Like the Buddha or something? **** me I'm on the wrong forum. Where's the USR (Unenlightened Student Room) for thickos like me? I require elucidation, OP - tell me of some things on which you are enlightened. Spare me any brevity you would usually extend to plebs like me, I need to know all the gory details.

Is there a God?
    What is the meaning of life?
    Does religion have a point?
    Is sex a physical or spiritual experience?
    Are men and women equal?
    Are lizards trying to take over the world?
    Is the Queen real?
    How are babies made?

I need answers.

ReputationRep:
    I agree completely.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.