Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being intelligent can be a curse as well as a virtue Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SovietRussiaFH)
    Not to be arrogant, but I'm intelligent and (more importantly) englightened.

It's very frustrating to me when I see the un-enlightened masses squabbling over petty problems in politics and everyday life, because usually I already have the right solution to the issue in question, but can't put it in to practice because no-one else is enlightened enough to see it, though I do my best to do so in my own life.

Does anyone else agree?

Well then, deal with your own problems before dealing with others.

ReputationRep:
    ... Those of you claiming to be intelligent and "enlightend", your troubles are your own doing if you can't lower yourself enough to share your wisdom with other people.

You need a crash course on how to live on Planet Earth.

EDIT: I'd like to add, that the most intelligent person I know, all A*s at GCSE, impressive self-invented essay subjects, etcetc, is very successful socially. So it's definately the person behind the "genius" who decides whether or not they are ridiculed, it's not the intelligence itself that people would ever dislike in you, especially as you get older.

ReputationRep:
    Some would argue an ability to simplified all of those enlightened thoughts you have, to share them with all that want to know whether or not they are academic is the greatest thing to have. And to do that, you must have some humility and be able to talk to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    ... Those of you claiming to be intelligent and "enlightend", your troubles are your own doing if you can't lower yourself enough to share your wisdom with other people.

You need a crash course on how to live on Planet Earth.
    Damn it, you said it more impressively and concisely than I did... same thought though.

ReputationRep:
    It's more of a curse, than a virtue if you ask me.

You're definitely englightened, definitely englightened.

ReputationRep:

It's very frustrating to me when I see the un-enlightened masses squabbling over petty problems in politics and everyday life, because usually I already have the right solution to the issue in question, but can't put it in to practice because no-one else is enlightened enough to see it, though I do my best to do so in my own life.

Does anyone else agree?
    Englightened?! HAHA.

Edit: Dammit, beaten to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aMAXin)
    Ridicule is the burden of genius...
    I couldn't agree more. Is that a proverb btw?

ReputationRep:

Does anyone else agree?
    There will always be someone more intelligent than you. How would you feel if someone said this about you? Also, "you usually have the right solution" when they are squabbling over politics? So you have the right solution if they were arguing over communism vs. capitalism? security vs. civil liberty? Wow, we should exalt you to leader of the world if you "usually have the right solution to the issue in question".

ReputationRep:
    Yea I totally agree.

I go to a grammar school and most of the people there are stupid, just good at memorising info for exams, the trouble is they then think they're intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olly_springs)
    Yea I totally agree.

I go to a grammar school and most of the people there are stupid, just good at memorising info for exams, the trouble is they then think they're intelligent.
    Yeah, most 'straight-A' students I've met are completely vacuous.

Yeah, most 'straight-A' students I've met are completely vacuous.
    I'm a vacuum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In1Su)
    I couldn't agree more. Is that a proverb btw?
    i dunno.
    ras kass (rapper) told me it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mijdge)
    I whole-heartedly agree. I spend half my time in my sixth form common room, listening to how bad other's lives are, when I'm sitting in my little bubble thinking 'I've sorted this problem, actually, but I'm not giving you my opinion.' I said to someone that I felt about 40 today, because of this and that fact that I outstrip everyone in my sixth form by at least a grade in the subjects I do. This isn't exaggeration. This is fact.

And I don't agree you're not arrogant.
    if only your grammar was as good as your apparent intellegence, then maybe what you just wrote would make sense.

Why over 40?

and check appostrophes and double negatives

ReputationRep:
    i wish i had your problems buddy

ReputationRep:
    Name-calling and personal insults impede the progress of humanity.
    Oh for ****s sake

ReputationRep:
    Okay then, O Enlightened One, what is the best system of government?

You say you have the 'right solutions', but I would argue that there rarely are solutions in this world of ours. Socrates said it best when he professed to be the most intelligent man in Ancient Greek -- because he knew that he knew nothing, whereas others were certain that they did.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence isn't a virtue. An intelligent (or let's say rational) decision is not necessarily a virtuous one. &c &c

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean OP, but I wouldn't put it that way, because it will annoy people and also because arrogance ruins any kind of intelligence. For me its more getting bored in classes, not always having someone around to bounce ideas off without extensive explanation, thats why intelligence isn't as good as it would seem...

'Right solutions' - I think most workable solutions are compromises between what is best and what is actually achievable!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It can suck at times, But I wouldn't change it. I don't think I have all the cures for the world, But I do think I could do better than most of what has been done so far on some things. But as i said, I wouldn't change it for anything, except making people a bit more tolerant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.