Turn on thread page Beta

Being intelligent can be a curse as well as a virtue watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    'Enlightened' was such a bad word to use here! It made you seem really arrogant, while I know you're not trying to be really.

I agree with your post, if I change every 'englightened' to 'aware' (or some other word). A lot of discussions or conversations with people that are much less 'intelligent' than you can seem so simple.

What I hate most, is people trying to have a discussion about something that they clearly know nothing about. The LHC was the perfect example really.
    THE US ELECTION. I was amazed at the number of people cheering for Obama who didn't have a clue. (I didn't have any sort of knowledge about the candidates, but I wasn't spewing **** out of my mouth.)

ReputationRep:
    What I hate most, is people trying to have a discussion about something that they clearly know nothing about. The LHC was the perfect example really.
    I disagree. I know lots about some subjects, and little about others. But I will happily talk about things I have little knowledge about. This is how I learn. I like to talk about physcology, and things like poetry, even though I have never written a great poem in my life, or read a book on physcology. The degree I want to do is nothing to do with physcology, or poetry, and I will never achieve mastery of either of them. But I still enjoy it. And talking about them allows me to learn. And yes, sometimes I say something wrong because I don't know everything about the subject, but so what? I learn from mistakes as well as the things I do perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    There are ways of sharing your intelligence with others without ending up resenting 'the masses'. If Stephen Fry can do it, so can you.

ReputationRep:
    you give us a bad name, you really do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yusufu)
    Anyway, it's fun to squabble.
    Indeed!

ReputationRep:
    I suppose this thread proves that only great intellect breeds humility.

When you die, your A-Level results shall not be engraved upon your headstone, nor shall the few or the many mourners be touched by your A* spree in your GCSEs. Your degree in Astrophysics will buy you little in the way of goodwill from your fellow man, and the arrogance borne out of your (self-conceived) ideas of intelligence shall win you only enemies.

When it comes down to it, who gives a **** how intelligent the next person is? Give me the qualities of the person ahead of the intellect. My mum is less intelligent than I but I have no qualm in admitting that she is ten times the person. And I don't look down upon her, I look up to her as a source of wisdom. Wisdom being infinitely different to intelligence.

I meet few wise people and few enough intelligent people.

ReputationRep:
    I hope your intelligence comforts you throughout the rest of your lonely, lonely life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    I disagree. I know lots about some subjects, and little about others. But I will happily talk about things I have little knowledge about. This is how I learn. I like to talk about physcology, and things like poetry, even though I have never written a great poem in my life, or read a book on physcology. The degree I want to do is nothing to do with physcology, or poetry, and I will never achieve mastery of either of them. But I still enjoy it. And talking about them allows me to learn. And yes, sometimes I say something wrong because I don't know everything about the subject, but so what? I learn from mistakes as well as the things I do perfectly.
    Firstly, I don't even know what 'physcology' is.

Secondly, my point has gone straight over your head.
    Regardless of whether you like a topic or not, you shouldn't, and hopefully wouldn't, talk a load of **** in front of people. If you didn't know anything about Freud, you wouldn't say you liked his methods.

ReputationRep:
    Hitler probably thought he was enlightened.
    And there's no questioning that he was intelligent.

How do you know you're right?
    And how do you know that in the same situation, you'd be able to do the 'ideal' thing. There are so many factors in every decision, and I think every person knows generally 'The Right Thing To Do'... But life's a lot easier when you're young.

ReputationRep:

Regardless of whether you like a topic or not, you shouldn't, and hopefully wouldn't, talk a load of **** in front of people. If you didn't know anything about Freud, you wouldn't say you liked his methods.
    I would agree if these people were in a position of power and people were looking up to them as a source of knowledge but there is absolutely nothing wrong with me and my friend talking about the American political system from what we have learnt from GCSE history.

Also intelligence is defined in many ways, I would not say there is such a thing as a general intelligence. Most of the people will have far more knowledge on a different subject be it emotional, sport or anything else. Because you choose to "spend" your intelligence on intellectual things does not make you more intelligent.

ReputationRep:

I would agree if these people were in a position of power and people were looking up to them as a source of knowledge but there is absolutely nothing wrong with me and my friend talking about the American political system from what we have learnt from GCSE history.

Also intelligence is defined in many ways, I would not say there is such a thing as a general intelligence. Most of the people will have far more knowledge on a different subject be it emotional, sport or anything else. Because you choose to "spend" your intelligence on intellectual things does not make you more intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    Hitler probably thought he was enlightened.
    And there's no questioning that he was intelligent.

How do you know you're right?
    And how do you know that in the same situation, you'd be able to do the 'ideal' thing. There are so many factors in every decision, and I think every person knows generally 'The Right Thing To Do'... But life's a lot easier when you're young.

ReputationRep:
    lol, I'd like to have a few answers then:

- Is there a god? (include proof of your answer please)
    - Is there a meaning to life (and if so, what is it)?
    - What is the solution to combine happiness for everyone with strong economic growth, individual freedoms and rights? (some kind of reasoning included please)

ReputationRep:
    There'll be someone even more intelligent than you are, thinking the same thing. There'll be many people of your same intellectual level, thinking the same thing.
    If you're so intelligent, come up with some more of what Newton came up with, or be the next big- hit writer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeppaloth)

Missed my point again! Of course you can talk about the American political system if you know something about it, but you can't just say "Woo! Obama! Yeah man!" if you don't know anything apart from the fact that he's mixed race.

I'm not sure whether your second paragraph was aimed at me, but I'm going to comment on that too. I agree completely, but I wouldn't define that as intelligence. I define intelligence as the aptitude for whatever the subject is. To me, you're either science-smart, or arts-smart. I really like arts subjects, such as English literature and history, but I'm no good at them really, so I stick to my sciences, which I enjoy even more. I consider myself science-smart.

A little to add on my last paragraph: languages. They're defined as arts (I think) but I disagree. I have a great aptitude for languages too, so I think they should be grouped with science (even though they're obviously not sciences).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SovietRussiaFH)
    Not to be arrogant, but I'm intelligent and (more importantly) englightened.

It's very frustrating to me when I see the un-enlightened masses squabbling over petty problems in politics and everyday life, because usually I already have the right solution to the issue in question, but can't put it in to practice because no-one else is enlightened enough to see it, though I do my best to do so in my own life.

Does anyone else agree?
    I understand where your coming from. But equally think your extremely arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SovietRussiaFH)
    Not to be arrogant, but I'm intelligent and (more importantly) englightened.

It's very frustrating to me when I see the un-enlightened masses squabbling over petty problems in politics and everyday life, because usually I already have the right solution to the issue in question, but can't put it in to practice because no-one else is enlightened enough to see it, though I do my best to do so in my own life.

Does anyone else agree?
    Reality check required here, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, such a tough life..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    I think it's safe to assume that the guy meant people who talk as though they know about something because they don't want to appear stupid. Not ones who will talk with what they know, willing to learn more how you are.

ReputationRep:
    what a knob.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.