Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being intelligent can be a curse as well as a virtue Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think using 'enlightened' in your post really weakens you argument. Enlightenment implies a level of intellect that is well beyond what you may touch upon in normal conversations, which seems to be where your frustration comes from, OP.
    I agree it can be frustrating to lower your intellect. I consider myself to be above average as far as intelligence goes, but I've been lucky enough to surround myself with interesting and intelligent colleagues and friends. Maybe you just need to find better company if you think your current one is frustrating you.

(Original post by SovietRussiaFH)
    Not to be arrogant, but I'm intelligent and (more importantly) englightened.

It's very frustrating to me when I see the un-enlightened masses squabbling over petty problems in politics and everyday life, because usually I already have the right solution to the issue in question, but can't put it in to practice because no-one else is enlightened enough to see it, though I do my best to do so in my own life.

Does anyone else agree?
    If you were really intelligent perhaps you would realise that everything that you associate with your life (politics etc) is petty when you consider the scale of the universe and your impact on that. You are the very definition of petty. Basically you don't matter. Your "intelligence" doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 73337)
    If you were really intelligent perhaps you would realise that everything that you associate with your life (politics etc) is petty when you consider the scale of the universe and your impact on that. You are the very definition of petty. Basically you don't matter. Your "intelligence" doesn't matter.
    Rather needlessly harsh :o:

ReputationRep:

It's very frustrating to me when I see the un-enlightened masses squabbling over petty problems in politics and everyday life, because usually I already have the right solution to the issue in question, but can't put it in to practice because no-one else is enlightened enough to see it, though I do my best to do so in my own life.

Does anyone else agree?
    Thats sounds arrogant but i do understand it. The bad thing is its supposed to get worse the older you get.

ReputationRep:
    What a ridiculous thread.

OP -- jump off a ****ing bridge. Please.

ReputationRep:
    If it's taken you this long to realise that, you're not as intelligent as you like to think.

ReputationRep:

Does anyone else agree?
    No, I don't.

I honestly feel that you're so self absorbed, you have disregarded others opinions and mistake your very own opinions for solutions.

Who in this world can label their own self intelligent or enlightened? Surely an intelligent and enlightened person would never need to say it themselves, moreso having other people tell them that they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    Missed my point again! Of course you can talk about the American political system if you know something about it, but you can't just say "Woo! Obama! Yeah man!" if you don't know anything apart from the fact that he's mixed race.

I'm not sure whether your second paragraph was aimed at me, but I'm going to comment on that too. I agree completely, but I wouldn't define that as intelligence. I define intelligence as the aptitude for whatever the subject is. To me, you're either science-smart, or arts-smart. I really like arts subjects, such as English literature and history, but I'm no good at them really, so I stick to my sciences, which I enjoy even more. I consider myself science-smart.

A little to add on my last paragraph: languages. They're defined as arts (I think) but I disagree. I have a great aptitude for languages too, so I think they should be grouped with science (even though they're obviously not sciences).
    I think there is a lot more that just science/art, I think you can be physically smart as in knowing your body and knowing what to do with it to make a ball do something. I would also seperate English/history from art/drama and so on. I would also say people can be very people smart, understanding them and other things. There is also musically which I would put dance into. I could go on and on :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's not that your intelligence makes life oh so difficult for you. You simply lack social skills, and you use your intelligence to come up with a clever excuse.

ReputationRep:
    awwww u shud just b punched righttt in the nose.....arrogant weird lady

ReputationRep:

Does anyone else agree?
    Truly intelligent people are smart enough to understand that other people are talented in the ways that you can't appreciate, and destined for things you will never know of. Truly intelligent people would never inadvertedly insult others in the way that you have.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.