Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can everyone who studies at Kent uni, or has been to the open day tell me their positives and negatives of Kent. I need help deciding which unis to pick and i've never been. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Have a flick through the Kent 2009 Students thread.

ReputationRep:
    Don't. Bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    Don't. Bother.
    Why?!?!? is it crap? ive heard both bad and good things about Kent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nneka!)
    Ignore that idiot.

Kent is a good university, sitting in the 30s when it comes to league tables. Obviously, some departments are better than others. The Psychology department here, in particular is great, ranking 8th in the UK according to The Guardian. I've found the teaching to be excellent. My lecturers have been very approachable and friendly, and they consistantly put the slides up on the Student Portal. (This is quite important in terms of studying.)

The campus is great; very green with plenty of trees. I actually once tripped over a rabbit walking from my accommodation because the buggars are everywhere. They seem to be incredibly tame and happily hop around your feet in the grass. On campus, we have two supermarket type shops, a bookshop, a theatre, a cinema, about 5 bars, a resturaunt, loads of cafe type things, a fast-food joint and a club. You could stay on campus and manage perfectly fine.

So yeah, it's good. It's a good university.

ReputationRep:
    It might not mean anything to you, but I suffer from social anxiety and despite this I have had no problems walking from Uni to the town in the dark at almost midnight.

Unless the elderly turn against you, you should be safe at this Uni :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truered)
    It might not mean anything to you, but I suffer from social anxiety and despite this I have had no problems walking from Uni to the town in the dark at almost midnight.

Unless the elderly turn against you, you should be safe at this Uni :p:
    lol! so there's a lot of old people? OH NO!

ReputationRep:
    Well not on campus...or is there?

ReputationRep:
    Well not on campus...or is there?
    There's the guy that wanders around dressed as Sherlock Holmes :holmes: he's ace

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'm having a great time here at the University of Kent.
    Canterbury is a really nice city, the campus is green and safe and the lessons are interesting.
    I don't think I could have chosen a better Uni/course combination for me, but for you it may be different (or the same).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nneka!)
    He goes there, so he's obviously going to be quick to defend the place. Although, I hav to say he's right in some respects, there is a lot of green everywhere... Aside from that, it's not very nice. I had offers from there last year, but turned them down after going to visit and speaking to other students. In all honesty, you can probably do a lot better... I didn't like the 60's architecture, I thought it was awful. I didn't like the general atmosphere. I'm sure you've read the Kent board on here, there are several students who deseperately want to leave...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    He goes there, so he's obviously going to be quick to defend the place. Although, I hav to say he's right in some respects, there is a lot of green everywhere... Aside from that, it's not very nice. I had offers from there last year, but turned them down after going to visit and speaking to other students. In all honesty, you can probably do a lot better... I didn't like the 60's architecture, I thought it was awful. I didn't like the general atmosphere. I'm sure you've read the Kent board on here, there are several students who deseperately want to leave...
    As there are in most unis, I've even read people from Oxford want to leave.
    Please don't try and put people off, if you don't actually study here, I don't think you can truly say "it's rubbish", you have your opinion and you didn't want to go here, that's fine for you, but for many of us it's worked out really well.

ReputationRep:
    Now I hate it when people, who went there for what a day, come here and say things against a university they don't know much about... no real experience of people here and no real experience of the teaching here. So you didn't like the look of the place but please that is what we call aesthetics... you may not like it but just because you don't like the look of a place doesn't mean others won't.

If you dislike a place it needs to have more substance than merely:

Turned them down after going to visit and speaking to other students. (Every student is different. Did they say only bad things, what type of student were they, or were you looking out for negative aspects?) In all honesty, you can probably do a lot better... I didn't like the 60's architecture, I thought it was awful. (Like I said matter of opinion) I didn't like the general atmosphere. (Why? Were you chased by 1000 students carrying swords and spears?)
    Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and everyone has different needs. At the very least if someone is thinking seriously about a place then they should check it out, they may hate it like you but then they may find it to be perfect. To try and put someone off of it without much to argue with is low and honestly it reeks of snobbery.

ReputationRep:
    Were you chased by 1000 students carrying swords and spears?
    Well there is the historical re-enactment society, maybe we should put them to good use.

ReputationRep:
    Of course everyone is different, and Kent might not agree with everyone.
    I'd say come and see Kent before you put too much stock in other people's opinions. You're the only person who can truly decide whether you will like the University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death_To_The_Government)
    Now I hate it when people, who went there for what a day
    A couple of hours?

I'm not the best to ask as I really am not the right sort of personality for any uni (yay personal issues) so that explains my usual complaints on here, as being an introvert this is the only place I can rant :o:

ReputationRep:
    I love love loved Kent when I went to visit, really really wanted to come here but didn't get in in the end but I loved it. The campus looks great and I've been here twice since term started to visit a friend and it's sooo good!!

ReputationRep:
    Ooookay. Am starting to get sick of threads that end up being like this.

I will say only three things to you:

- My own personal experience at Kent is everything I ever wanted from University. My course rocks, I've got lots of friends and a close-knit group that I know I'll stick with for a long time. The social aspect is always great for me, as I like to do a bit of everything and as long as you don't over-do the Venue/The Works etc, you won't get bored for a while. I have two words for you: KITCHEN PARTIES. Money-savers and you meet looooads of people.

- The campus is beautiful. Yup, the architecture can put people off, but I've found since I got here you get used to it - it seems normal, and doesn't look ugly once you've been here a couple of days - honestly, not just saying that. But it's your choice.

- That last point again - it's YOUR CHOICE. If you get a little feeling when you're driving up the winding pathway overlooking Canterbury City, and keep that little feeling as you walk around and meet people and hear about accommodation, your course, societies etc, then Kent is the place for you. If you get that little feeling elsewhere, then go there.

*smiles* It really all depends on how you feel when you visit. Sometimes it just clicks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katkit)
    - The campus is beautiful. Yup, the architecture can put people off, but I've found since I got here you get used to it - it seems normal, and doesn't look ugly once you've been here a couple of days - honestly, not just saying that.
    Well before it turned into a building site

ReputationRep:
    Well before it turned into a building site
    Urgh, I know... though at least it only effects half the campus. Hopefully they'll get it over with ASAP.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.