The Student Room Group

A level sociology or psychology

I just finished year 12 I was doing physics, english lit and art and I failed physics so for year 13 I have to do either A level psychology or sociology in a year instead :frown: Which is more interesting, easier to do in a year etc. but also which subject seems more “academic” ??
We can't tell you which is more interesting because only you know what interests you- look at the course overview/specifications for both to see which you'd be more interested in!
What are your aspirations after A levels? If you're thinking about uni, do you know what degree you might like to do, and if there are typically any subject requirements (or preferences) for it?
Reply 3
I did art, English lit and psychology for my a-levels and loved all of them. I know a few friends who regretted choosing sociology over psychology as it involved far more statistics and human geography than they were expecting. Psychology is far more focused on individual experiences, such as why we conform to social influence, how the human brain can remember certain things and not others, and whether we truly have free will or not. I studied the AQA spec and found it did really well to include the multiple approaches to psychology throughout the course, from the biological approach (everything we do is determined by our genes and physical brain structure) to humanistic psychology (although we are influenced by biological and environmental factors, we ultimately have free will and this is the healthiest way for a person to think). A large part of the spec is also the 'evaluation' (2/3 of what you write in 'essay' questions) in which you strengths and limitations of each argument (i.e. the biological approach can be useful to forensics as it means that we can explain why offenders commit crime and we may even be able to predict crime before it happens. However, this implies that offenders do not need to be held accountable as this is purely taking a deterministic approach). This means that in the course you are not simply just learning facts but how to debate and compare as well.
In terms of which is easier to learn in a year, I think both are similar, so choose the one which interests you the most because that will be far easier for you to learn. There are loads of online resources for psychology, I would recommend psych boost YouTube videos, Physics and Maths Tutor (both for past papers and they have a huge PDF of revision notes which was a lifesaver multiple times) and Study Rocket. I think psychology is regarded the slightly more scientific out of the two so may appear more academic, but at the end of the day, it matters more which you'll enjoy and do better in, both are really good subjects.
Original post by Ickabee
I did art, English lit and psychology for my a-levels and loved all of them. I know a few friends who regretted choosing sociology over psychology as it involved far more statistics and human geography than they were expecting. Psychology is far more focused on individual experiences, such as why we conform to social influence, how the human brain can remember certain things and not others, and whether we truly have free will or not. I studied the AQA spec and found it did really well to include the multiple approaches to psychology throughout the course, from the biological approach (everything we do is determined by our genes and physical brain structure) to humanistic psychology (although we are influenced by biological and environmental factors, we ultimately have free will and this is the healthiest way for a person to think). A large part of the spec is also the 'evaluation' (2/3 of what you write in 'essay' questions) in which you strengths and limitations of each argument (i.e. the biological approach can be useful to forensics as it means that we can explain why offenders commit crime and we may even be able to predict crime before it happens. However, this implies that offenders do not need to be held accountable as this is purely taking a deterministic approach). This means that in the course you are not simply just learning facts but how to debate and compare as well.
In terms of which is easier to learn in a year, I think both are similar, so choose the one which interests you the most because that will be far easier for you to learn. There are loads of online resources for psychology, I would recommend psych boost YouTube videos, Physics and Maths Tutor (both for past papers and they have a huge PDF of revision notes which was a lifesaver multiple times) and Study Rocket. I think psychology is regarded the slightly more scientific out of the two so may appear more academic, but at the end of the day, it matters more which you'll enjoy and do better in, both are really good subjects.

i’m not so bothered about how academic a subject is but unfortunately my family are :frown: i think sociology seems slightly more interesting but I did psychology for GCSE so i have more of a background on it i guess ?? so i’m not sure :frown:
Original post by DataVenia
What are your aspirations after A levels? If you're thinking about uni, do you know what degree you might like to do, and if there are typically any subject requirements (or preferences) for it?

I’m thinking maybe something to do with politics/journalism or something similar in the media so i guess sociology would be more beneficial maybe ?? but i did psychology for gcse
I did both psychology and sociology
Sociology involves more long essays whereas psychology essays are shorter and there is more of a scientific focus
I found both really interesting, but it depends on whether you find theory behind how today's society works or theory behind individual behaviour more interesting
I've heard more people say psychology is more academic but I would say they're equally academic (both are assessed through 3 2 hour exams)
I don't know whether either could be easily completed in a year but in year 13 we finished sociology content before the psychology content
Happy to answer any other questions you have
Original post by elscha_bandito
I just finished year 12 I was doing physics, english lit and art and I failed physics so for year 13 I have to do either A level psychology or sociology in a year instead :frown: Which is more interesting, easier to do in a year etc. but also which subject seems more “academic” ??

@elscha_bandito
Hi, I did a degree in Sociology and a Masters in Psychology. There is definitely an overlap between the two subjects with social psychology. What I would say is that Psychology requires a deeper recollection of details on experiments and it see's itself as being more sciency. I found Sociology a lot easier. They are both 'academic' subjects. The market is oversaturated with Psychology graduates at the moment as you cannot be a psychologist without doctorate level study

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply