Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm already applying for Leeds and Nottingham (both long shots as I'm predicted AAB after taking a gap year to resit in 2 subjects), Reading (safe), and Birmingham.

I'm having trouble deciding between Glasgow, and a second 'safe' option (Essex). I live on the eastern tip of Lincolnshire so distance is a factor for Glasgow... Briefly, what are Colchester and Glasgow like in terms of nightlife, music scene, scenery (eg. greenery, old buildings) etc..?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Essex will be easier to get into than Glasgow.

Glasgow will have a good music scene - there's plenty of bands from there - and logically there'll be a wider range of nightlife. The University's also old, so it'll have old things about it too.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is higher than Essex on League table and therefore may demand higher grades for admission in most subjects. It is quite a distance to me and I did not consider it when I applied last time. Instead I have made Essex my choice and am now studying happily there. A university with a beautiful campus and small student population. Facilities are great too !

ReputationRep:
    Essex if you want to go something with politics, none of this ******** that Glasgow is higher in league tables, when it comes down to it Essex has one of the best politics department there is, i think it got the 6* rank a few years back

Essex only has 8,000 students, it is small, the campus is set nice in park land, i am bias :p:
    try and look at both unis, you need to get a feel of them really, as soon as i saw essex uni first time i went there, i knew it was for me, night-life wise, its OK the uni gets some good bands and top dj's down, you have town, or even London 40mins on the train

ReputationRep:
    With AAB, Glasgow should be fairly easy to get in to. It has lower grade requirements for A level, just because of the way the school systems work. Glasgow is quite a big city (although it feels small) and nightlife would not be an issue, at all. Same with bands. There are hundreds of places that would suit anyone.

The main building on Glasgow is old and looks like Hogwarts. It also overlooks Kelvingrove Park, so there is quite a lot of greenery for it being in the middle of a city.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow's a Scottish ancient and the fourth oldest university in the UK, do the main university buildings are spectacular. A great Gothic feel. The city itself has been important for centuries and was particularly wealthy during the empire so it has its fair share of older architecture, particularly Victorian.

It's a large city but it has has the usual typical (Victorian?) city parks. The university is backed onto Kelvingrove Park. So it's literally on the doorstep of the main university buildings.

Being a major city Glasgow's not going to be lacking in nightlife and it does have a great music scene. It gets a large amount of the medium and large size touring acts as well as a vibrant local independent scene.

Colchester is much smaller and certainly match Glasgow in terms of green spaces (the university's in Winvenhoe Park, I think) and, as it's not a major city, it isn't as built up as Glasgow, with fields upon fields (and a small wood) nearby. Essex is also a good politics/IR department. It's also a Roman town, so plenty of history, but in terms of architecture alone, the university ion particularly, in doesn't match Glasgow's. Also, with the greatest respect to Colchester, in terms of nightlife and music scene there is no contest.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.